Wanna see my Gecko's? *HEAVY*

AFRO-thunder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Austria
www.unet.univie.ac.at
Please don't take that personal, but I really don't like the american way of reptile keeping... Small tank, no natural decoration and no places to hide... Plus, feeding on superworms and mealworms, not really diverse or healthy.

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
Well to bad I guess, I dont like the way some people keep their fish but you dont here me *****ing. As long as they feed, water, and provide a clean environment who am I to say what people can and cant do with their property?

Also this tank is by no means "small", just because I dont show the entire thing in an angle which shows the size doesnt mean its small. What does natural decoration have to do with anything?
You must not know much about reptile keeping let alone Leo keeping if you think Supers or Mealies are not healthy or diverse enough. Also you know thats all I feed for fact right? Because your there every single day when I feed right?

Dont like what I do with MY animals, dont post or comment on MY picture thread. :)

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Well to bad I guess, I dont like the way some people keep their fish but you dont here me *****ing. As long as they feed, water, and provide a clean environment who am I to say what people can and cant do with their property?

Also this tank is by no means "small", just because I dont show the entire thing in an angle which shows the size doesnt mean its small. What does natural decoration have to do with anything?
You must not know much about reptile keeping let alone Leo keeping if you think Supers or Mealies are not healthy or diverse enough. Also you know thats all I feed for fact right? Because your there every single day when I feed right?

Dont like what I do with MY animals, dont post or comment on MY picture thread. :)

I keep reptiles the american way. Please refrain from responding in a emotive and foolish manner. He has his views, and you have yours, both of you have the right to express it openly, not in a defensive manner. You are in no way correct, nor is he.

Fact remains that supers and mealies are sufficient nutritionally for Leos, but are obviously not diverse (Diversity: A variety, if two species of prey items is a lot to you, I wonder if you've actually counted) and may not be the most nutritionally wonderful prey items. If you have exceeded the minimum tank size, good for you, but it is never comparable to the territory these creatures have in the wild. Certainly, there are far much larger tanks by others used for the same purposes.

You will not be a stubborn child on a forum devoted to the proper keeping of reptiles and other herps.

However, nice leos.

bkbennett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Oklahoma
Sometimes i wish people would keep their snide comments to theirselves... way to ruin a good thread... ugh...

Now lets get a bit more upbeat here...

Great Leos u got there! I have a female myself. Man she is a grouch though... i wish she would let me handle her... i used to have a male that would run to my hand... maybe i should get another male.... hmmm

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Apologies. I cannot stand the sight of dogmatic confidence with absolutely no basis. However, even threads like these can become good discussion outlets when involving the sane, rational people who appreciate opinions, and debate to understand.

These are healthy leos, nonetheless. I do need to know something OP, how often do your leos engage in mating?

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
I keep reptiles the american way. Please refrain from responding in a emotive and foolish manner. He has his views, and you have yours, both of you have the right to express it openly, not in a defensive manner. You are in no way correct, nor is he.

Fact remains that supers and mealies are sufficient nutritionally for Leos, but are obviously not diverse (Diversity: A variety, if two species of prey items is a lot to you, I wonder if you've actually counted) and may not be the most nutritionally wonderful prey items. If you have exceeded the minimum tank size, good for you, but it is never comparable to the territory these creatures have in the wild. Certainly, there are far much larger tanks by others used for the same purposes.

You will not be a stubborn child on a forum devoted to the proper keeping of reptiles and other herps.

However, nice leos.
I dont get how its "The American" way, I know numerous people all over the world that keep them in the same way, funny how anything certain people dont like MUST be the "American" way lol

Why should I? When someone comes to my thread to post nothing nice nor even about the geckos, except that they dont like the way I keep them or what I feed, good thing they arent that persons geckos huh ;)
Oh trust me, I was not defensive, I dont get what I have to defend, the fact that I have healthy, happy, well cared for animals? :confused:

Who cares if they are not diverse foods, do you or the other guy know what I feed every day? What you think I dont know what diverse means? Lol Do you see me get Dubia, Silk, Mealie, Super, Cricket, Phoenix, Wax, Butter, or whatever else I decide to get for them to switch off on? You must not be as psychic as you though ;) I love how everyone just knows what I feed 24/7 LOL dont even get why their diet is even in question honestly, I mean this is a thread to show some pictures of my geckos, not to discuss why you or whoever dont like how they are kept or what they are fed.

As for the tank size, are all the tanks these monster fish kept in the size of the lakes, rivers, or oceans that the fish naturally live in? No I think not, and thats part of owning an animal of any type as pet, you cannot USUALLY provide the same amount of territory as they would have in the wild and I am sure some people have gigantic tanks for their leo collect, I do not, but I do keep my leo's in a tank much larger than the small quart tubs that most people keep theirs in, in snake racks and such.. but again, not sure why this is even being discussed lol

I find it funny, everyone with a negative comment, about food and tank size fails to notice the sheer emaciated look of one of my females LOL yes you know so much about them and their care and tank requirements, but dont seem to notice the one that was the sickest after being rescued, the one so gravid her belly is bulbous and how thin her tail is, I mean it is plainly obvious to anyone who has leo's or any lizard for that matter, but I guess you missed that when you focus to hard of food or tank size :p

Oh and just to let anyone who now noticed how thin her (SADB) and Charmander were compared to Shiro and Shelby, they are much healthier now, Char laid her eggs and is now putting on more weight and is almost the size of Shelby now, SADB has started gaining weight, and is absorbing her eggs back, which is perfect so she doesnt expend any energy trying to produce eggs.

Sometimes i wish people would keep their snide comments to theirselves... way to ruin a good thread... ugh...

Now lets get a bit more upbeat here...

Great Leos u got there! I have a female myself. Man she is a grouch though... i wish she would let me handle her... i used to have a male that would run to my hand... maybe i should get another male.... hmmm

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lol thanks and it wouldn't be the internet if people actually commented on the subject at hand and didnt make backhanded comments about things that dont matter :p

Thank you BKB :) My male is the grouch, loud grumbly guy who will bite on occasion, he thinks he is 10ft long I think! You should start taming her, putting your hand in the tank when she is out, and feeding from tongs helps get them over the fear, but I find sticking your hand in and holding them works much faster.
All but Shiro were wild when I got them, now they all are very tame and will come out and watch you if your in the room. It also depends on the morph, the albino morphs are a lot more laid back. Shiro is so chill he does his gowl and will bite, as I mentioned above, when you try and put him back in his tank! Lol he would rather be out in your hand looking around or wandering around the floor or couch. He is a very cool gecko.

Apologies. I cannot stand the sight of dogmatic confidence with absolutely no basis. However, even threads like these can become good discussion outlets when involving the sane, rational people who appreciate opinions, and debate to understand.

These are healthy leos, nonetheless. I do need to know something OP, how often do your leos engage in mating?
I dont get why your even commenting about my response, I was far nicer than I should have been and if anything he is in the wrong, just because he doesnt like tank or food choices doesnt mean he should comment, guess in Austria they dont have the "If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" adage :confused:

I did not post this as a discussion or debate thread, I posted pictures for the enjoyment and comments of people who like leopard geckos, not people who want to nip pick over things that dont matter in the care or keep of reptiles. God that person would defecate masonry if they saw how the majority of breeders produce leo, or ball python! LOL

Again, funny how you say all are healthy. Shows your novice in gecko care, not to be rude but one is so obviously emaciated its unreal.

About the mating, not quite sure. So far Shiro has no bred and created eggs with any of the females. Shelby started to show but absorbed them back due to being stressed after a tank upgrade, Charmander was gravid when I took over her care and he laid a pair and one was accidently destroyed, the other is incubating at the moment, uhm SADB was very emaciated and ill, and she has since been separated now and put in her own tub with everything she needs to gain weight and no one in there with her to stress her. She was very gravid as you can see by the pictures, but she has decided to absorb them which is fantastic and its helping her put on weight, she is also gaining more weight by feeding a few times a day and now looks more like Char did in these pictures. She will not be placed with a male for at least 6-12 months, possibly longer so she can fully recover, she was very sick when I took over care.
Char also will not be bred again for at least 6 months to let her recover from having just laid.
Shelby will be kept in with Shiro, she seems to choose if she wants to lay and is in a very great condition for producing, if she so chooses, plus her and Shiro seem to like each other more than any other the others.

Gecko mating is not like most other animals, they dont court really and the females dont really choose, you put a male with a female and he goes and gets what he wants and then if she doesnt feel like taking, she wont produce, she can hold the sperm for quite some time but its not usually common and she will either produce from that breeding or not.

I hope that answered your question and if you have any more please feel free to ask, I will answer to the best of my ability. :)

Thats an awesome collection if you ask me
Thank you :) I have very nice morphs for what I want right now, hope to add a 3tank and possibly get a Bell Albino or Lavender Bell Albino female this spring for breeding with Shiro, he is a great male. No Enigma syndrome and very very healthy.

Thank you for your comments and again, any questions feel free to ask and I will answer them as best I can, no need to judge how I keep my animals, because you may not even be getting the full story from old pictures :D

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I will not be derogatory with you. You are clearly an emotional being and I do not wish to be placed down to your standards.
Have you any idea of what a democratic constitution involves? It involves opinions from the citizenry. Now, what happens when the citizenry has only positive opinions? That's a dictatorship.

I don't think you are able to differentiate between insults and criticism, in which case, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. Firstly, it is mentioned as the american way, because the idea originated from america. You can find evidence of this in the lizard care book written by the Bartletts'. If you provide x amount of information on their diets, and others suggest otherwise, the onus is on to clarify, and not take offence. They tend to have much larger tanks in Europe for the same sort of reptiles.

The leopard gecko you claim to be emaciated is thin yes, but so emaciated its unbelievable? I don't think you've seen enough truly emaciated leopard geckos. Your gecko will survive and recover quickly enough if she is otherwise healthy.

People should cease majority claims. So let's say in Nazi Germany, we have 90% of the German's supporting the holocaust, and perhaps, the other 10% just supports destroying jewish property, does not the "better" minority correct.

Thanks for answering my query however. That would indicate leopard geckos are random breeders, a worrying sight for me.

"If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" adage. This is to be avoided, a lousy concept written by people too insecure to accept flaws in their character and require constant praise to be confident.

pookie

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Phoenix
I will not be derogatory with you. You are clearly an emotional being and I do not wish to be placed down to your standards.
Have you any idea of what a democratic constitution involves? It involves opinions from the citizenry. Now, what happens when the citizenry has only positive opinions? That's a dictatorship.

I don't think you are able to differentiate between insults and criticism, in which case, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. Firstly, it is mentioned as the american way, because the idea originated from america. You can find evidence of this in the lizard care book written by the Bartletts'. If you provide x amount of information on their diets, and others suggest otherwise, the onus is on to clarify, and not take offence. They tend to have much larger tanks in Europe for the same sort of reptiles.

The leopard gecko you claim to be emaciated is thin yes, but so emaciated its unbelievable? I don't think you've seen enough truly emaciated leopard geckos. Your gecko will survive and recover quickly enough if she is otherwise healthy.

People should cease majority claims. So let's say in Nazi Germany, we have 90% of the German's supporting the holocaust, and perhaps, the other 10% just supports destroying jewish property, does not the "better" minority correct.

Thanks for answering my query however. That would indicate leopard geckos are random breeders, a worrying sight for me.

"If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" adage. This is to be avoided, a lousy concept written by people too insecure to accept flaws in their character and require constant praise to be confident.

Lol you sound like some 14 year old boy who feels the need to butt in and use words that they feel makes them smarter or above other people, good try though.

Voting? Really? Yep, must be 14 :) Who cares what they do in Europe? I am not there, nor do I care how they keep their reptiles.

Oh so now she is thin? I thought you said they were healthy and such? I have seen very emaciated geckos, she isnt the worst of the worst, but she is far from "just thin". Whatever kid, go do something better with your time than try and feel like your Gods gift to a forum.

Now your on about Jews and Nazi? Mom didnt give you your adhd meds today now did she?

I wouldnt say random breeders, some fish are more random in breeding, they do produce more in certain seasons, but my female laid in the winter, and if the female doesnt want to invest her body to produce the eggs, she wont. What do you mean "worrying"? Your not going to have babies unless you want to and set them up and incubate, or leave them in the hide they choose to lay in and put that on the heated portion on the tank, but then they might not hatch, its a little more random that way. I am using a incubator to ensure the egg hatches, which it might not but who knows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store