Want to catch and stock a 55 gal in eastern Ohio

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
55 gallon will only be temporary I'm certain.

I have a 125 of bosemanis that are very old and have been dying off pretty steady.
I want to know what would look nice that I could catch. And where to catch it. I'm located in eastern Columbus.

Reactions: tlindsey

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
Also would be interested in buying. Fish if anything had anything for sale.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
55 gallon will only be temporary I'm certain.

I have a 125 of bosemanis that are very old and have been dying off pretty steady.
I want to know what would look nice that I could catch. And where to catch it. I'm located in eastern Columbus.

Bigfishnut Bigfishnut

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I don't think that there is any permits on catch and keep wild fish but only catch and release permit is applicable for fishing.
It's called a fishing license...whether you take the fish home and eat it or put it in an aquarium is entirely up to you and legal as long as you follow all size and creel limits and not take threatened or endangered species. I actually work closely with Pennsylvania fish and boat commission and report species of interest and in return I get to find out places that uncommon species have been collected when PAFBC does the electroshock survey

Reactions: tlindsey

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
I really do like the color of rainbow darters. But my only issue is I don't know how to catch them. I'm going to be using rod and reel. And I've never. Seen anyone catch a darter like that before. Lol

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
No, you need to use a net. It's challenging! First you have to find them. They are usually in wide, gravel bottom creeks at about knee deep. Usually in or near riffle sections of clear, clean creeks and rivers.

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
Like a really big net ? With a handle.? I'm sorry this is just new to me. Or like a two person net you drag across the bottom ?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I use 2 nets with handles. Hold one still and try to coax them in with the other. It takes getting the hang of. They stay glued to the bottom, so you need the one net tight to the creek bed. Kinda steer them in front with the other net. It will take some time to get efficient at it. I used to spend hours to catch one or two, now I can catch 40 or 50 in a day! I usually only keep a couple though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store