want to get rid of aipatsia

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
Like the title says I am wanting to get rid of thos bastards. They have overrun my current tank, and soon I will be ungrading, and do not want them in the new tank. I was thinking of taking my current live rock just before the upgrade, which is infested beyond a few injections of of whatever you use, and doing an rodi bath for a couple days. Do you think that this would kill them? I am not too concerned with killing bacteria as I plan on having to cycle the new tank anyways. Any input? Thanks.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
RO water should kill them in theory, don't know about any microscopic young though... but in theory it should be enough.

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
Yeah hopefully the zygotes dont make it too far into the rock when I shock them, i think i read they only release when stressed or in danger. I am just sick of looking at all my rock covered. I should have nipped it in the butt when there was only a few.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Since you will be starting over anyway, I would dry the rock out as much as possible, then put it in RODI water and hope for the best. I am experiencing some of your pain currently and wish I would have started complete fresh with no aiptasia.

asing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
New Hampshire
haha yeah I thought "ohh theres a few how bad could it get?" apparently the horror stories are true and it becomes an eye sore within a couple months. I do have a few inhabitants in my current tank (volitan and grouper), so I am trying to take out enough to where it wont affect the current tank too much or stir the sand bed up too much. I do plan on getting some dry rock, or if I can find a deal locally on some live rock, I would prob get another 100# or so. It will definetly be in limbo for a little. I just dont want to kill off my current fish. Ive had both for over a year and these two fish are why I have upgraded.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Use kalkwasser powder mix it with a little RO water to make it into a liquid then inject it into the base. It works great. And you dont have to worry about spreading them this way. Tip, Pickling lime at the grocery is basically the same as kalk and a lot cheaper. I use Mrs Wages Pickling lime. works great

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Peppermint shrimp will also eat them. if you dont have anything that will eat the shrimp that will also work on the very little ones that are hard to get to.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Use kalkwasser powder mix it with a little RO water to make it into a liquid then inject it into the base. It works great. And you dont have to worry about spreading them this way. Tip, Pickling lime at the grocery is basically the same as kalk and a lot cheaper. I use Mrs Wages Pickling lime. works great
This way works well to "control" the population, but will never eliminate it as you are trying to do.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
worked in my 150 gallon reef. Without disassembling the tank and changing out rock this is the best way I found to fight an aipatsia outbreak.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you don't care about killing off the bacteria and having to cycle the new aquarium, then why not just put it in a bleach solution for 24 hours or more? That will certainly kill them all for sure, and you'll just need to soak the rock in a Prime/Amquel/other chlorine remover solution for a few days after that to be sure that all the chlorine is gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store