Want to Move the Tank Foward in a Different Way: Need Some Help Getting Started

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I've been thinking a bit and I've decided I've been too focused on stocking my tank and ignoring the decor of the tank. I think its time I moved away from fish and moved on to improving the overall tank.

But...

I don't really know how to begin planning an aquascape. I know what kind I'm looking for (a natural scape, roughly based off an Amazonian scape with driftwood, aquatic plants and maybe smooth gray rocks), but I don't know how to begin setting it up. Could some kind folks give me some tips on how to begin?

Thx!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm no artist, so probably not qualified to comment, but I have had a lot of tanks over a lot of years. I don't really have "display" tanks nowadays, but I still try to make the tanks I keep pleasant for me to look at; and that's the only opinion I care about: mine. Very few people actually see my tanks.

I'd suggest that if you are making a display tankscape, the first thing is to have something as a focal point; a nice piece of driftwood, an impressive rock, a commercially-purchased piece of decor, or an especially beautiful plant. Whatever you use, don't plop it right in the middle of the tank; that always looks goofy. A centrepiece needs to be a little bit off centre, maybe at the one third mark, to not look very artificial and forced. If your tank is much longer than it is tall, then maybe a main focal point and a secondary one would work better.

Symmetry is another thing to avoid. Tanks with plants, rocks, flower pots, etc. placed exactly the same way on both sides never look right.

Plants should be placed so that the tallest are at the back, with successively shorter and shorter species as you move towards the front. But...it helps to place a mid-height plant, or grouping of plants, a little further forward here and there, with shorter ones behind. This tends to increase the apparent depth of field of your vision, making the tank look as wide as possible from front to back. Plants should either be single specimens, like Amazon Swords, or else should be in groups of odd numbers. Don't ask me why, but a group of 3 or 5 plants always looks better and more natural than a pair or a group of 4.

Changing the colour of the background can make a huge difference to the look of your tank. Another way is to simply change the location of your lighting. Just sliding a light forward or backward an inch or two can completely change the entire effect. A single point source of light goes a long way towards creating that lovely shimmering effect, much more so than a diffused light.

Probably the single biggest thing to keep in mind is that you aren't committing to anything particularly permanent. You can expect to be making little tweaks and improvements for a long time, as you home in on the "perfect" look...which, of course, does not really exist, but...:)

You need input from folks who do a lot of display tanks. There are plenty of them on here, but the one who leaps immediately to mind when discussing beautiful naturalistic designs is Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 . Hopefully he weighs in here; his ideas won't be much help if you're dead set on a Spongebob Squarepants theme, but otherwise his tanks are truly spectacular. :)

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm no artist, so probably not qualified to comment, but I have had a lot of tanks over a lot of years. I don't really have "display" tanks nowadays, but I still try to make the tanks I keep pleasant for me to look at; and that's the only opinion I care about: mine. Very few people actually see my tanks.

I'd suggest that if you are making a display tankscape, the first thing is to have something as a focal point; a nice piece of driftwood, an impressive rock, a commercially-purchased piece of decor, or an especially beautiful plant. Whatever you use, don't plop it right in the middle of the tank; that always looks goofy. A centrepiece needs to be a little bit off centre, maybe at the one third mark, to not look very artificial and forced. If your tank is much longer than it is tall, then maybe a main focal point and a secondary one would work better.

Symmetry is another thing to avoid. Tanks with plants, rocks, flower pots, etc. placed exactly the same way on both sides never look right.

Plants should be placed so that the tallest are at the back, with successively shorter and shorter species as you move towards the front. But...it helps to place a mid-height plant, or grouping of plants, a little further forward here and there, with shorter ones behind. This tends to increase the apparent depth of field of your vision, making the tank look as wide as possible from front to back. Plants should either be single specimens, like Amazon Swords, or else should be in groups of odd numbers. Don't ask me why, but a group of 3 or 5 plants always looks better and more natural than a pair or a group of 4.

Changing the colour of the background can make a huge difference to the look of your tank. Another way is to simply change the location of your lighting. Just sliding a light forward or backward an inch or two can completely change the entire effect. A single point source of light goes a long way towards creating that lovely shimmering effect, much more so than a diffused light.

Probably the single biggest thing to keep in mind is that you aren't committing to anything particularly permanent. You can expect to be making little tweaks and improvements for a long time, as you home in on the "perfect" look...which, of course, does not really exist, but...:)

You need input from folks who do a lot of display tanks. There are plenty of them on here, but the one who leaps immediately to mind when discussing beautiful naturalistic designs is Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 . Hopefully he weighs in here; his ideas won't be much help if you're dead set on a Spongebob Squarepants theme, but otherwise his tanks are truly spectacular. :)
Thank you! Don't worry, i'm not going for anything tacky like Spongebob with clown loach vomit gravel lol. I want a naturalistic scape roughly based on the Amazon. I have played around with lighting, unfortunately, my lights are connected to my lids so I can't do much with that unless I get new lids and lights. I might do it though...

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thinking about this, and I forgot to mention: one of the easy ways to boost your creativity and kickstart your imagination is to eat a nice big meal of one of those foods that stimulates mental activity and accuity. Rabbit stew is an excellent choice...:devil:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Thinking about this, and I forgot to mention: one of the easy ways to boost your creativity and kickstart your imagination is to eat a nice big meal of one of those foods that stimulates mental activity and accuity. Rabbit stew is an excellent choice...:devil:
SERIOUSLY AGAIN?! =_= Good night a livin.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
You mentioned on there a background, one of THE simplest ways to change the whole look of a tank is to put a black matt cloth background on the tank. Not only does it change the look in an instant but you will be amazed how it changes the behaviour of the fish.
But pretty much everything else is covered in what jjohnwm jjohnwm said there!
One of my biggest bug bares is tanks without furniture, can’t stand them, the more natural looking the better , so you will often see me planting large plants where they fit and look best, rather than at the back or sides, but hey, there are no rules when it comes to setting up a tank (unless you want to win competitions) but no one can tell you it’s wrong. Does it feel right, does it look right………….. then it’s right!
And if you change your mind, you do it again differently!
In my case usually with more wood and more rocks and less room to swim in! But I’m a maximalist.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Get some good books. Nature Aquarium by Takashi Amano. Plant books by Christen Kastleman too. Or Pablo Tapoot.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
There should be heaps of pics online of the amazon type scapes to inspire you.
As mentioned Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 is bit of an expert on such things, he has a thread in the CA/SA cichlid section thats stickied that you should read.
I usually do this type of scape, one thing to keep in mind is they can be hard to clean with all the wood and plants everywhere but they look great when done well.
They are fairly easy to get right with a bit of tinkering so im sure you will do a good job, dont get stressed about fertilisers, CO2 and lighting, just stick to 3 or so basic type of plants and you make life simpler for yourself. Anubis and java fern tied to the driftwood always impresses and they are very easy to care for.
Not to derail your thread but i am about to pull my neglected wood/plant setup aprt and do something totally different, if you were closer i could donate you plenty of java ferns.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
a Spongebob Squarepants theme,
Hey, I've been researching a few new themes myself to prevent the boredom from setting in.

I'm quite taken with this one, it's on a par with any of Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 spectacular scapes:liar::liar::liar:

The only problem is, to truly appreciate this spectacular offering........you need to be about 4 years old!

aec8a7887bb50f75b7134fce565996d0.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store