Want to setup a large saltwater tank and I'm new to it

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
This is the rock you want to look forImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1368879641.262375.jpg
Notice the purple coralline algae covering it. Also I would run the skimmer on your sump instead of hob, otherwise your tank looks like its full of seltzer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Thanks for all the feedback, Anchovie! You've been very helpful.

If I can get a sump going, I will just use the sump with a big skimmer. If not, then you recommend just live rock and skimmer?

I will definitely get a couple pieces of cured rock and surround it with dead rock. I know that live rock experiences some die off during transport and acclimation, but will the purple algae also experience some die off?

Like I said, I want to create an oval collection of rock in the center of the tank to make a kind of racetrack for tangs and the center of rock will be like a maze (nothing auper crazy) with plenty of places to hide and forage. :)

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Curing LR is a process not a type of rock it involves scrubbing the dead/dying crap from the LR and separating it from an aquarium environment for a period of time in order to kill off any unwanted hitchhikers, algae's, or unwanted bacteria's.
The reference term used to describe ready to use LR is aqua cultured - this stuff is pre-cured , cycled , and contains colonies of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria's. With proper levels of both Alk and Lux coralline algae happens.

Lighting is not the only issue with reefs infact it may be the easiest aspect of reefing. Nitrates + Phosphate management come into play making bio balls a double negative - they expel Nitrate + Po4 by design in, a reef this is not were you want this process to occur. Fish can handle PO4 + Nitrates up to 20 ppm a reef not at all think less than 1ppm of po4 and nitrates steady at 5 ppm. Alk also comes into play as lower levels of dissolved sodium are more fish friendly however stoney corals use alk elements to grow. managing stable higher levels of alk brings Calcium/sodium creep into play - this stuff will chew up and clog HOB's rather quickly. Water circulation is also an issue as corals need a fair amount of current just to shed their mucus membranes.

A protein skimmer is extremely advisable with reefs as it helps rid the water of dissolved waste. This TDS leads to higher levels of nitrate + Po4. As for carbon - it's an on the fence thing, has it goods and bads - one benefit of carbon is that it does very much help remove toxins from the aquarium generated inside the tank it's self, toxins produced from fish, corals, and decomp.
It will remove trace stuff like heavy metals IE iodine or strontium if used on a full time basis however reef carbons has instructions - use only 48 hrs a week discard after 30 days.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Curing LR is a process not a type of rock it involves scrubbing the dead/dying crap from the LR and separating it from an aquarium environment for a period of time in order to kill off any unwanted hitchhikers, algae's, or unwanted bacteria's.
The reference term used to describe ready to use LR is aqua cultured - this stuff is pre-cured , cycled , and contains colonies of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria's. With proper levels of both Alk and Lux coralline algae happens.

Lighting is not the only issue with reefs infact it may be the easiest aspect of reefing. Nitrates + Phosphate management come into play making bio balls a double negative - they expel Nitrate + Po4 by design in, a reef this is not were you want this process to occur. Fish can handle PO4 + Nitrates up to 20 ppm a reef not at all think less than 1ppm of po4 and nitrates steady at 5 ppm. Alk also comes into play as lower levels of dissolved sodium are more fish friendly however stoney corals use alk elements to grow. managing stable higher levels of alk brings Calcium/sodium creep into play - this stuff will chew up and clog HOB's rather quickly. Water circulation is also an issue as corals need a fair amount of current just to shed their mucus membranes.

A protein skimmer is extremely advisable with reefs as it helps rid the water of dissolved waste. This TDS leads to higher levels of nitrate + Po4. As for carbon - it's an on the fence thing, has it goods and bads - one benefit of carbon is that it does very much help remove toxins from the aquarium generated inside the tank it's self, toxins produced from fish, corals, and decomp.
It will remove trace stuff like heavy metals IE iodine or strontium if used on a full time basis however reef carbons has instructions - use only 48 hrs a week discard after 30 days.
Sounds pretty complicated. I think I will keep my fish only tank for a while and make sure I have that under control. In a year or two I will setup a smaller 50-75 gallon tank to try out corals. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for rock info. Can put that to use selecting my rock for start up. :)

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Just want to thank everyone who has contributed. There is a bunch of great info here and I really appreciate all the feedback. I find discussions to be the best way to learn about resources I could otherwise miss out on. So thanks again everybody! :)

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Growing coral isn't as complicated as it sounds however. There are supplements for anything you may be lacking, and instruments are getting more user friendly every year. If you only take one but of advice from my admitted limited reefing experience, take this. Never dose for anything you do not own a test for.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Probably some of the best advice that can be given
I agree and would take it one step further - don't add anything without testing - adding fish at 40ppm is going to make things worse and take longer for b+b to catch up.

And I do very much believe good husbandry for stony corals is complicated compared to Fish only - a lot to know - corals usually die slowly - this can fool many beginners into believing they got it down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store