Want to try gars

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Sad day... one my little gars got eaten whole right after i put in feeders guppies, it was eaten by one of my fw tiger eels.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
That sux.
Sorry to read that....
Maybe the eel should be moved now that he ate one. The rest are on the menu.

See what this crab did to a gar.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?590455-Freshwater-Crab-ID

Your above post other and other posts are why I keep my gar with things that are on his menu. NOT the other way around.
Matter of fact I'm taking a pleco down to the LFS this weekend because he has served his purpose. ( tank cycling)

I caught him sucking on the turtles shells so I moved him to the 160.
Now I put some monster amazon swords in there yesterday and he's sucking on them.
I know better then to put him in with Garfield so it's off to the LFS with him.

Gars aren't apex predators, they are in the food chain, not on top of it.
Unless you get a alligator gar.
Rich

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I think it was more of a mistake food, they have been together for 3 weeks now and just yesterday after i put feeders in the eels went crazy and grabbed one of my gars i guess. I dont have the tanks to move my gars into so i can only hope for the best, the other 3 gars should be gaining size really quickly and maybe to big if the eels try again. The thing is the eels are worth more to me so if the gars get eaten its unfortunate but nothing i can do about it. Just a 20$ snack each :(

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thats unfortunate you lost your gar. As far as their size and what they can and cannot eat for lives you be surprised at what they can muster down. I know nothing about eels so i cannot state if this is a good or bad combo. Perhaps you could section off a portion of your tank until they are of a size that the eel would not consider. Rich I also had a large common pleco i got rid of when i added my gar, better not to take any chances. I will admit they are much more amusing and active when kept in pairs. I hope all works out well for your remaining gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store