Warming/ weird oceans

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nonnative fish such as fox face ,panther groupers,Picasso triggerfish and yellow tangs have been caught in Florida seas

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nonnative fish such as fox face ,panther groupers,Picasso triggerfish and yellow tangs have been caught in Florida seas

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
global warming and cooling is nothing new when you look at the big picture. whither we add to it or not, it happens. the world is self correcting. no matter the cause or repercussions and will be for another 4 billion years, then its cosmic toast.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Question is what survives,humans these days are mostly maladapted to getting there own food at least mentally and behaviorly

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
what dif it make besides with you? We like to remove ourselves from the big picture. or insert our selves into the pig picture. much as we like to think we all that, we are not. again IMHO

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If humans die out things could start going right again,except nuclear reactors which blow if not maintained,just another monument to human stupidity.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; As illustrated by the minimal responses in this thread, it has been my experience that few get too involved with such topics.
Decades ago I believed it was because coming by decent sources of information was difficult. When doing my undergraduate studies during the late 1960's I worked part time in the university library. I worked in the reference section mainly in the periodicals. No internet access like today and the scientific journals were bound in heavy volumns. There were also bound cross reference index guides. Sort of like a crude search engine, very difficult to use.

When the first forms of the internet came along I imagined that all the data and good information bits would someday be sorted out and lots of good connections made among them. I guess it happened, sort of. The internet technology is vastly greater than my speculations.

Seems a puzzle that all this almost instant access to data does not seem to have been used by so many. I have revised by theory and not longer think a lack of decent access to good data is holding folks back. There is a huge amount of such data a few keystrokes away. Plenty of stuff out that could flood a thread such as this, but it does not happen does it?

Not sure I had a point to this post. If anyone wishes I can make one up.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Make one up,this post needs some fluff.
Hello; A point could be that the life style of folks capable of reading such a thread is likely decent enough so they have no desire to peek behind the curtain. Odds being they have the luxury of enough disposable income to be able to afford a fairly pointless hobby like keeping exotic tropical fishes. They will also have a computer and internet access. Also some free time for such a hobby and visiting this forum.

Maybe most (many?)(some?) wish to use the hobby as an escape from the everyday detritus and do not wish to be depressed. The oceans are in some respect the main source of the stuff of life for all of us. One example (if my memory works) being that there is more photosynthesis among the phytoplankton of the oceans than anywhere else. I know the Amazon river watershed is often called the lungs of the world, but I think the oceans have it beat overall. So this thread is asking us to take a look at what we have done. Maybe like asking a smoker to look at a biopsy slide of their own damaged lungs. Not much fun to do and besides there must be a game on somewhere.

There is also the real possibility there is nothing practical (maybe not even anything super extreme) to be done about fixing the oceans anymore. Likely passed that point some time back. No body much wants to hear about this stuff, at least not in my experience the last few decades.

Finished my bachelors degree in 1970 and started work on a masters. Intended to go in the direction of ecology so took such coursework. By around 1975-78 the writing was on the wall, for me anyway. Not saying I knew exactly how things were going to play out, more that things figured to play out badly. Some is worse than I though possible. Some has been a surprise. Most took much longer to play out than I had expected. I took some actions but only three have been of any value.

One being I stayed in the public schools as a biology teacher having units about ecology every term. This may have had some minor beneficial effect. At least there are a few thousand folks around who cannot say they were never given the information. Another being that I have lived a lifestyle of less impact. At least less impact than I could have had. Again not a big thing as I have been a consumer after all. Perhaps the only thing I did of any real impact was to remain childless. Had a vasectomy when I was around 25 years old. The children I did not bring into the world are not competing for resources nor are they adding to the problems. One additional benefit as I approach birthday # 70 being I do not have the angst I see in some of my friends with grandkids. Even the hard to convince folks I knew over the decades cannot ignore what is going on now. Had one friend stay away from me for a while after his first grandchild was born. He had been polite enough to let me rattle on over the years, but had found way to dismiss what I was saying. I think the first grandkid coupled with the then recent abundance of negative data about the environment sort of focused my ramblings. He got over it after a couple of years as there are not so many of us alive now.

Well, not sure if this is enough fluff and I do have a game recorded. I usually read thru a post but don't think I will this one. Too long and likely no fun. Did I out do KK?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store