water change question

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
when you do water changes on a planted aquarium, do you just not vacuum the gravel? i figured this would disturb the roots and plants. can anyone tell me how to gravel a planted aquarium, how much, and how often?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I don't do gravel vacs for my planted tanks. If there is a lot of poop, like in my pleco tank I do, but otherwise don't. Just do a normal water change. Keep in mind that plants need nitrogen in order to survive, which is also why it is important to carefully monitor you tanks that you fertilize. If you add too much fertilizer you can end up with a nitrite spike. If you gravel vac all your sludge away, your plants will not do too well. Plants will take care of water conditions pretty well. I find my tanks often malnourished in nitrogen.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
You just skim the surface,deeper and youll wreck the roots.some folks do less than that the mulm is good for the plants

not to worry of sludge... theres where your biological filter comes in! to much of sludge is not good to the plant roots too so a clean of the substartes not just cleaning the dirt but also to lossen the compact substrate you have so as to create a flow of circulation under the gravel for the roots to grow better thats what i've encounter...

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
If you remove about 1/3 of your water for a water change you will be able to dilute any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate you have in your tank. Regular changes are more important than actually removing the mulm or sludge.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
so should i just skim water out (like the uneducated water changers out there) rather than getting stuff off of the bottom with my vacuum? is this what everyone is saying?

rasdbo

420man
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
near purple indo lake
i do once aweek water changes and make sure i get the poop out of the gravel and aafter i finish i add plant food. all my plants are know growing better and have stronger root growth in the sand and on my driftwood.

WyldFya

MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
danepatrick said:
so should i just skim water out (like the uneducated water changers out there) rather than getting stuff off of the bottom with my vacuum? is this what everyone is saying?
I would still remove excessive amounts of excrement, but not all of it. In a planted aquarium you need to have this as a source of nutrients for the plants themselves. As with non-planted tanks it is bad to have excessive amounts of nitrogen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store