Water Change Question

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
The python is a must have

The python is a must have
This should be pythons tag line. Because its so true.

Unless you have your tanks hard plumbed to a drain, then a python is simply a must.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
uploadfromtaptalk1419271368087.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1419271406282.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1419271433699.jpg

I made one out of garbage I had laying around and with stufd from the hardware store. Necessity is the mother of invention. Also so is booze. Ya gotta be a little tossed to make some Frankenstein contraption like that. But hey it works

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I just bought the aqueon version of the python...I have no idea what I was doing with my life before it. watching the water leave and fill the tank with the twist of a faucet handle...gorgeous.

I just bought the aqueon version of the python...I have no idea what I was doing with my life before it. watching the water leave and fill the tank with the twist of a faucet handle...gorgeous.
I have a debilitating form of sciatica, and the python saved my hobby. I too love watching it work! :)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My aqueon water changer systematically failed over the course of a year.

First the hose collapsed and wouldnt siphon anymore

Then the gravel vac broke right at the hose connection

Lastly the valve broke in half.

I replaced each part as they failed and I'm left with that contraption above which includes zero parts of the unit I purchased. Is it still an aqueon water changer then? I'll save that for the philosophy sub forum.

uploadfromtaptalk1419311216065.jpg
Im an aqueon/all glass fanboy but this product really let me down. I'm left with an indestructible industrial grade cluster.... so I got that going for me

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
The bad thing about the Python is that it relies on water pressure to suction out water. If you turn off the faucet during draining, it's very slow.

It's a lot more effectively to buy pool hosing from a pool store or sump hosing from HD and use that instead. That way you'll be draining water out of a 1 1/4" hose instead of the small hose that the Python uses. Plus you will be using gravity instead of using water pressure and wasting water with the Python.

I use this : http://m.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Sump-Pump-Discharge-Hose-Kit-FP0012-6U-P2/100645330. You glue a 1 1/4" pvc pipe to one end and a shutoff valve to the other. Then you start the suction by sucking in air like a regular siphon. I can drain my 210 g tank in about 15 mins.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My aqueon water changer systematically failed over the course of a year.

First the hose collapsed and wouldnt siphon anymore

Then the gravel vac broke right at the hose connection

Lastly the valve broke in half.

I replaced each part as they failed and I'm left with that contraption above which includes zero parts of the unit I purchased. Is it still an aqueon water changer then? I'll save that for the philosophy sub forum.

View attachment 1052736
Im an aqueon/all glass fanboy but this product really let me down. I'm left with an indestructible industrial grade cluster.... so I got that going for me

The way I treat my equipment I'll be surprised if it lasts that long. But I'm a huge believer in the cheap and effective Aqueon HOB filters (those things move water, and in a hurry) so I figured I'd give this this a try. It breaks, it breaks haha. I'll just create a brass/CPVC/PVC/PEX monster like yours next lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The bad thing about the Python is that it relies on water pressure to suction out water. If you turn off the faucet during draining, it's very slow.

It's a lot more effectively to buy pool hosing from a pool store or sump hosing from HD and use that instead. That way you'll be draining water out of a 1 1/4" hose instead of the small hose that the Python uses. Plus you will be using gravity instead of using water pressure and wasting water with the Python.

I use this : http://m.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Sump-Pump-Discharge-Hose-Kit-FP0012-6U-P2/100645330. You glue a 1 1/4" pvc pipe to one end and a shutoff valve to the other. Then you start the suction by sucking in air like a regular siphon. I can drain my 210 g tank in about 15 mins.
I will agree its slow if you shut the water off during the draining process, and my impatience was playing at my mind the whole time, right until I looked at the empty 5 gallon Home Depot bucket on my living room floor not being filled repeatedly via gravel vac and then refilled and lifted well over chest height to my tanks multiple times which would have surely resulted in my eventual scoliosis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store