Water changes w/ R.O. water

zanemgray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Arizona
If I do only 5 percent water changes w/ striaght R.O. water will I have a P.H. swing Or will it just very gradually drop each time this is done. I have tap in the now . I'm trying to drop my nitrates but that will be impossible w/ my tap water becase it maintains a nitrate level around 50-60. So I could never get bellow that level using my tap water.. :confused: :screwy: :confused: :screwy:

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
shouldnt be too much of a problem i use r/o water on my 20 gallon and its fine but i have very hardy fish in their.

Caincando1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Rochester, MN
50/60 in your tap water. Have you checked with the county or whom ever is in charge of the water quality to verify this? That's really high and can pose a health risk to humans, especially pregnant women and babies.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

The National Primary Drinking Water Standards for nitrates set by EPA are 10 mg/L as nitrogen, i.e. 44 mg/L as nitrate. This regulation excludes private wells. If your tap water is higher than that, I recommend doing research on potential regional exceptions

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/creg.html

and if there are none, you should contact your water supplier. Levels above EPA standards are unacceptable.

Regarding your question: Since pH is on a logarithmic scale, a 5% water change with r/o has no effect at all on that parameter, However, you should keep an eye on your hardness, which can be seriously affected by repeated water changes with r/o water.

HarleyK

zanemgray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Arizona
Howdy,

The National Primary Drinking Water Standards for nitrates set by EPA are 10 mg/L as nitrogen, i.e. 44 mg/L as nitrate. This regulation excludes private wells. If your tap water is higher than that, I recommend doing research on potential regional exceptions

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/creg.html

and if there are none, you should contact your water supplier. Levels above EPA standards are unacceptable.

Regarding your question: Since pH is on a logarithmic scale, a 5% water change with r/o has no effect at all on that parameter, However, you should keep an eye on your hardness, which can be seriously affected by repeated water changes with r/o water.

HarleyK
Yes I have a private well , this is why its so hi , So little water changes wont affect my P.H. but the only thing I need to watch out for is hardness..??:confused:

Caincando1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Rochester, MN
Has the well been tested by the county? My well water shows 30 on two different AP test kits and Jungle lab test strips. I had it tested by the county and an independent testing lab and it's only 6.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store