Water Changes

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
A filter where there is very slow flow rate creating an anaerobic conduction where nitrate is reduced back to nitrite ammonia then n2 gas. Tricky business. Plants are much simpler

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FinHunter101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2012
Out Back In The Woods!
Do you unplug your filters when preforming water changes or do you leave everything running when you refill w/ de-chlor water... So heres what i was gonna do for a water change...
1. Drain amount needed
2. Add double dose Prime at low water level
3. Fill with water hose from outside to desired water level
Is this a proper way to go about water change w/ fish in the tank?

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
But if we are filtering all of that out with our filters and our gravel which is also constantly cycling out clean water to keep up with the constant cycle of waste being produced... Than why would we need to change that much water? I'm not sure what you filter your tank with... But mine almost is all run off of biomax so that bacteria is able to eat away as much as it can while still keeping my levels all perfectly fine.
The end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrates, the easiest way to remove that is through dilution of the water. Several small water changes would just dilute that percentage of the waste but till the next wc comes the fish have produced more waste in that time frame and with the same percentage wc you have only diluted that much but this time and added waste amount has piled up, so to dilute the water to the initial percentage you would have to increase your second water change amount to only be at the initial partial.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mechanical filtration takes out visible stuff, and in the process, thus removes some chemical contaminants, but not all.
Biological filtration has the ability to reduce ammonia and nitrite.
These are just a couple of the most dangerous compounds.
There are many other less acutely dangerous organic compounds, but there are still chronically unhealthful constituents that build up in water over time, and can only be removed by water changes, and to some extent chemical filtration.
Beside mechanical and biological filtration and water changes, I use fractionation/protein skimming. This is what it removes, this is what normal mechanical and biological filtration doesn't take out. This water, before the fractionation process is clear, but the foam is evidence of many invisible and unhealthy properties.

Just because water looks clean, doesn't mean it is, or is healthy.

djr139

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2012
middletown r.i.
Mechanical filtration takes out visible stuff, and in the process, thus removes some chemical contaminants, but not all.
Biological filtration has the ability to reduce ammonia and nitrite.
These are just a couple of the most dangerous compounds.
There are many other less acutely dangerous organic compounds, but there are still chronically unhealthful constituents that build up in water over time, and can only be removed by water changes, and to some extent chemical filtration.
Beside mechanical and biological filtration and water changes, I use fractionation/protein skimming. This is what it removes, this is what normal mechanical and biological filtration doesn't take out. This water, before the fractionation process is clear, but the foam is evidence of many invisible and unhealthy properties.

Just because water looks clean, doesn't mean it is, or is healthy.
THAT.......is nasty

vXhanz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2012
PA
So what is better for the water changes? A partial or full change? Based on what I'm reading here, the filter won't take out nitrates and it just sits in the water. So over time through partial changes the nitrates become more concentrated?

How often are water changes done? Once a week?

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
That is true, water changes only dilute the nitrates which still accumalate.

I try and do 100% water changes at least once a week but sometimes more than that. If I'm lazy I will do a partial but not long after, the tank receives a full 100%.

How often should be according to your water test.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store