Water Filtration turn over- who is running the least?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I originally started with 2 pumps to give me the magic 8 to 10 times an hour turnover. It turned out too much and the over flows could not handle it. I was gutted and had to end up running just the one pump. I turn over around 4 time an hour now and have done since the tank was set up around 18 months ago. Things are great, water params are spot on. I save myself 85 watts of power an hour by running only one pump and i have a spare pump ready and waiting to go should i have any issues. I use 2 circulation pumps in the main tank that have big GPH (can't remember how much) but have VERY low wattage use, around 8 watts a pump. There is a lot to be said for lower turn over as it give the water more contact time with the sump media.
I had the same problem. My overflows are 1 inch, handle a mag 1800 np, but then I tried introducing a second MAG 1800 and my overflows couldnt handle it. I put a ball valve on the second mag 1800 and even with it turn to the absolute least without being closed it still couldnt handle it, though this time it lsated for a bunch longer. My next project will be to increase the size of my overflows to 1.5inch at least, maybe 2 inches, I just have to do my thorough research to see if I will have problems making them too big.

I run that 1800 mag plus two marineland 1300's and my conditions have always been about average to above average, water is always clear, but then again I am running a 65 watt emperor aquatics UV sterilizer on the water. Just ordered a jebao mp60 to replace the two marinelands, hoping to see some good improvement. Tank is a 400 gal.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The contact time thing is a mute argument. It's the same with UV. People think slower turnover = more contact time, but higher turnover means that quick contact time happens more often. 6 one way, half dozen the other. Tomato Tomoto. lol

I'm at 1300 gallons. And run a bit over 6 times turnover. I plumed in a 3rd return pump, but don't run it due to my first stage mechanical- radial flow separators. These things really are something else. I didn't clean then for 3 weeks and the amount of crap in the bottom of them blew my mind. I use a piece of 3/4 hose to siphon them out and there was so much crap it couldn't siphon. It plugged it. I had to pump it out. Seems the stringy ray poop actually sticks together as a giant mass just growing bigger and bigger, and this happens WITHOUT media that needs cleaned. I really think this is the future for ray filtration.

This form of mechanical filtration will just become less and less efficient the more flow rate goes up.

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
i think i agree with you

if you turn over is 10x an hour in one tank, and 3x an hour in another
if both tanks have the same bb population (which i assume they would if bioload is the same), then both tanks will detoxifying the same concentration of ammonia or nitrite
in the same amount of time.

The only difference I'm seeing is differing flow for your fish to swim between the 2 tanks.

All above a certain threshold of course, if your turnover is .25 in an hour, then you're not going to be detoxifying much nitrogenous waste.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I run about ~2.5X per hour. I've mentioned this before, but the 100K gallon amazon display at Steinhart Aquarium runs only 1x per hour and although it's a huge setup IMO, that tank is pretty heaviliy stocked. Most large pond owners run around 1x per hour as well.

Kevin, please keep us posted on your experience with the DC 12000. I'm curious to see if they are as efficient as advertised...looking forward to seeing your results testing it on your Kill-A-Watt meter.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Ya when a friend with large catfish (Wednesday) runs a pool off a mag 24 I wonder.

Will do on the pumps. I'm exited and waiting for them to get here. If they work good I'm ordering more. And I will do a write up on them. If anyone has ideas for testing flow let me know.

I run about ~2.5X per hour. I've mentioned this before, but the 100K gallon amazon display at Steinhart Aquarium runs only 1x per hour and although it's a huge setup IMO, that tank is pretty heaviliy stocked. Most large pond owners run around 1x per hour as well.

Kevin, please keep us posted on your experience with the DC 12000. I'm curious to see if they are as efficient as advertised...looking forward to seeing your results testing it on your Kill-A-Watt meter.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I knew this thread was for me lmao... its all about water volume. More water volume needs far less turnover rate, 800-1000gal and up are easier to maintain than a 10gal in my experience. My 1700 pool runs on a single 2200 gph pump with 8-10' of head loss :) . Its by far the most stable system in my house even compared to smaller tanks with triple the turnover rate and autodrips. I find it funny that the people with bigger tanks are actually using less gph to keep them operational and the doubhters are the ones running smaller systems. Adding more water volume is the answer to making things better not turnover rates. My 300gal has twice the filtration and turnover as the 1700pool and autodrip and its been a nightmare to keep stable ever since i set it up 4yrs ago. No need for extra bells and whistles if theres plenty of plain old water from the start :) . Both sides of this debate are correct in a sense for different scenarios but when it comes down to it the more water u have the less turnover u need. Stock is a heavy factor in this for smaller systems 500gal and under and could be y people think the more turnover the better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Never had nitrates above 10 or so in an overstocked setup. QUOTE]

Nitrate removal has nothing to do with your filter or turnover, you cannot mean nitrite as over 10 would suggest something wrong with the filter. I expect your nitrates are low due to a good water change regime, very heavy plant growth (doubtful with rays) or the test kit is not accurate / fresh. Dip strips go out of date quickly as can drops and therefore give very false readings.

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
There is a complicated mathematical formula for figuring out all the various factors for exactly how much filtration is required, flow rates, contact times etc.....everything!!!
It is not as simple as simply filter size and flow rate.
This link touches on most of it.

http://www.biofilters.com/websize.htm

DB..do you mean 'moot'?
The laws of physics and chemistry are most definitely not 'moot'
:)

ok , that's my posting quota for 2014

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
We have a 500 gal tank with a 180 gal sump. That is ran by a Hayward 1.5 horse pool pump and it turns 9600 gph. Here are a few pics for you guys. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783317.006687.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783331.932765.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783344.309476.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783359.574131.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783371.884305.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390783385.376594.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store