Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas

nicky11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Lima, Peru
kdrun76;4386738; said:
You need to kill the critters in the water, not filter them out. Micron screens and protein skimmer will not do the job. The bleach idea interests me.... that sounds cheaper than UV filter bulbs.

Both UV and bleach will kill the critters. Learn how that bleach method works.... its a brilliant plan. I am a little embarrassed that I never thought to do it. Dechlorinator neutralizes bleach, and on top of that bleach would dissipate out in about 24 hours.

You could add bleach to the barrel, put in a power head to keep the water moving. Wait 48 hours add some dechlorinator and be good to go. The question that remains is "How much bleach?"
so after reading the article they recommend one tablespoon of regular bleach for every 5 gallons...definately gonna try that as uv sterilizers do get quite pricey....thanks for the input

nicky11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
Lima, Peru

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Be careful with what you try it on...it sounds safe, but I wouldnt risk a display tank right off the bat. I know that some people do do this, and how they do it is that they hold the water in settling tanks. Then when everything dies and settles out, they just take their water off the top.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store