water temp for peacock bass

callen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
ingrda;4596788; said:
does low temp effect growth rate in juveniles?
I think colder temp slows their metabolism, so yeah.

Angler;4361020; said:
82 is good. For small cichla, higher temps are good.
I agree w/ Angler, i kept my adult pbass at 82, and the babies at about 86.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
bassinmike85;4360821; said:
what is the best best for pbass??
IMO, the mid-eighties seem to be ideal for most SA fish. That's what I've kept SA fish at for over 30 years. Warmer water helps keeps them more active, and immune systems up.

dcetnies24;4363631; said:
im looking into getting a peacock bass. what size tank? Ive been reading all different sizes. i've read as low as 55 gal , low as 125 gal. so what is it? I have a 90 gal and my largemouth bass will grow out of there tank so i would like to have another fish in mind. And i love the way they look.
Smaller tanks are only good for growing out cichla. Little ones will outgrow a 55 in a couple of months, a 125, six months if you're lucky. You need to be thinking over 300 gals. long term. The bigger the better. Even with very large tanks, they can be seen bouncing off tank walls when startled.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
dcetnies24;4363631; said:
im looking into getting a peacock bass. what size tank? Ive been reading all different sizes. i've read as low as 55 gal , low as 125 gal. so what is it? I have a 90 gal and my largemouth bass will grow out of there tank so i would like to have another fish in mind. And i love the way they look.
Oh and btw, peacock bass grow larger than largemouths, so I would not recommend them as an alternative to largemouths...

scriving

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
the cuts
hillbilly;4597501; said:
IMO, the mid-eighties seem to be ideal for most SA fish. That's what I've kept SA fish at for over 30 years. Warmer water helps keeps them more active, and immune systems up.

Smaller tanks are only good for growing out cichla. Little ones will outgrow a 55 in a couple of months, a 125, six months if you're lucky. You need to be thinking over 300 gals. long term. The bigger the better. Even with very large tanks, they can be seen bouncing off tank walls when startled.
i think you could get a good year and a half out of a 125 if raised from fry. Also depends on species but if its not a tem you can get a little while out of a 125 just my 2 cents no need for an argument.

Morledzep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
where my cichla are
i keep my tanks around 82.. there are constant temp changes because my house is always open but they rarely vary more than 3 degrees unless i have a heater malfunction.

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Mine runs at 84 my bass seem to like that temp best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store