Wave maker and silver arowana

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Just got a wave maker for the 210 to help with the poop stuck in dead spots and it sure does work. But the aro doesn't seem to like the high flow.

I have a FX6 and a SunSun 304A canister filters.

Do any of you use wave makers with your arowana?

I turned it off for now just because of the high flow I might have to look into a lower power wave maker.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I don't have an aro, but my chocolate cichlid prefers lower flow. I got a cheap digital timer and the wave maker only runs an hour or 2 daily, usually in the evening after feeding time. My dithers (giant danios) love it and come down to swim and play in the current sweeping across the bottoms, while the chocolate goes to one of the corners and stays higher up where the flow is low.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I don't have an aro, but my chocolate cichlid prefers lower flow. I got a cheap digital timer and the wave maker only runs an hour or 2 daily, usually in the evening after feeding time. My dithers (giant danios) love it and come down to swim and play in the current sweeping across the bottoms, while the chocolate goes to one of the corners and stays higher up where the flow is low.
Good point to turn it on after feedings

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Fish species that have evolved to utilize atmospheric oxygen have done so because the water they inhabit in nature is oxygen deficient...which typically means relatively warm water that is stagnant and lacking in current. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to "re-evolve" on a moment's notice just because we want our tanks to be easier to keep clean. :)

On top of that, a degree of current that is easily handled by a larger fish...like an adult arowana...can just as easily become a bit overwhelming for very small specimens of the same species. And, of course, many or even most species that live in water that appears to be flowing very quickly, actually spend almost all of their time in the lee of large boulders, in slack backwaters and eddies, and other protected areas. Trout fishermen spend all their time looking for prime spots to present their lures to their quarry. Do they typically cast into the boiling, roiling rapids? Nope, almost never; instead, they move from pool to pool, and look for current breaks and other obstructions that create quieter resting and ambush points for the fish.

Don't believe it? Think that all your fish will be happiest living in water that looks like the Heavy Dirt cycle of an industrial washing machine? Lots of aquarists feel that way; more has just got to be better, right? Well...no need to overthink it. Just watch the fish. You have already seen that your fish seems to prefer less current.

Hmmm...what to do...what to do...? :)

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Fish species that have evolved to utilize atmospheric oxygen have done so because the water they inhabit in nature is oxygen deficient...which typically means relatively warm water that is stagnant and lacking in current. I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to "re-evolve" on a moment's notice just because we want our tanks to be easier to keep clean. :)

On top of that, a degree of current that is easily handled by a larger fish...like an adult arowana...can just as easily become a bit overwhelming for very small specimens of the same species. And, of course, many or even most species that live in water that appears to be flowing very quickly, actually spend almost all of their time in the lee of large boulders, in slack backwaters and eddies, and other protected areas. Trout fishermen spend all their time looking for prime spots to present their lures to their quarry. Do they typically cast into the boiling, roiling rapids? Nope, almost never; instead, they move from pool to pool, and look for current breaks and other obstructions that create quieter resting and ambush points for the fish.

Don't believe it? Think that all your fish will be happiest living in water that looks like the Heavy Dirt cycle of an industrial washing machine? Lots of aquarists feel that way; more has just got to be better, right? Well...no need to overthink it. Just watch the fish. You have already seen that your fish seems to prefer less current.

Hmmm...what to do...what to do...? :)
😂 Understood.... Wave maker will be used to periodically stir up the gunk at the bottom other than that it will be off. It takes place of a vacuum in my case.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store