Ways to get MTS out of tank?

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
I know I can physically remove them, or trap them, but is there any kind of passive way to remove them? It almost seems like there are enough snails to actually cover the substrate in my tank. This is in my office so unfortunately I cant devote too much time to physical removal but I would like to thin the herd if possible. Are there any fish that eat them? Would also prefer not to get assassin snails because then I'll have a ton of those afterward.

Reactions: tlindsey

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
They can eat MTS? Just checking since they have harder shells than most

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Having had massive MTS snail populations decades ago I discovered it was my fault. I was overfeeding my fish. Since figuring this out I have a reasonable population of snails which benefits the tanks overall.
The simplest way to approach this is to have fasting days on some schedule. I usually skip feeding two days a week. You can skip more or less. If I feed a bit heavy one day i may skip the next two days.

The notion took hold after I would be gone for three or four day weekends. I would note the tanks looked better when i got back home. Fish being cold blooded can go many days without feed. The exception being fry which need feedings each day.

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
Im doing at least two if not three 50%+ water changes each week since the tank is so small. I feed only one time a day in managed portions and clean up after the fish. are there other causes for why the snails could be so overpopulated?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I know of nothing that can crunch the hard shells. I use to keep a set of pilers handy to crush snails when my population were too many. Even with pilers the MTS shells are tough. I basically gave up trying on the MTS. I had Ramshorn populations and learned the hard way to not use my fingers to crush snails..

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Im doing at least two if not three 50%+ water changes each week since the tank is so small. I feed only one time a day in managed portions and clean up after the fish. are there other causes for why the snails could be so overpopulated?
Hello; Not in my experience. They are getting food somewhere. Of course, i have only had snails in tanks since 1959 so i have not seen everything.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; When i have had kuhli loaches I would find lots of empty shells. I figure they can get the meat out leaving the shells behind. Worth a try i guess.

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
S skjl47 Thank you! M MultipleTankSyndrome while we're on the topic of loaches eating snails, any suggestions?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big is the tank and what’s the stocking already? That would probably determine what loaches are a good fit.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store