Ways to get MTS out of tank?

Sirtrashcan

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2021
Have you considered adding a couple assassin snails? Anentome helena.
They may not completely rid the tank, but could significantly reduce and hold down MTS populations
In my mind, that is replacing one snail problem with another. Are assassin snails easier to control?

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
In my mind, that is replacing one snail problem with another. Are assassin snails easier to control?
assassins require two to procreate, typically when they kill the other snails their population implodes, and you end up with one snail.

They are effective.

I just want to move excess to feed a tank that would appreciate that type of food.

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
I've had them in my tanks. Nearly impossible to get rid of. They multiply too fast. With a tank that small, I'd take the bichirs out, keep them in a bucket an airstone while you tear apart the tank. Throw out the substrate and clean the whole tank with bleach/water (make sure you rinse very well after) and restart. Take some seeded media from one of your home tanks so that you don't have to cycle the tank again and put your bichirs back in. Depending on the type of filter, make sure you clean that well also cause the snails can live in there too. I would toss any media from the filter OR clean it very good (it will kill all your bacteria) so make sure you seed again from an existing tank.

Reactions: Deadeye

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
My BGK seem to do a better job than my clowns, but even hard-core loach people recommend assassin snails.
Need to remove empty shells from time to time, or if sand-bottom can just scoop & strain live snails as well.
Can also set a little trap of a jar or teacup & a bit of course mesh.
I've not read-through the thread, so apologies if these have come up previously

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store