Weird idea...

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
I was thinking... What if on like tall tanks you could use plexiglass or something and make a ledge going across the tank so that there is sorta two layers and bottom dwelling fish would have more room. Pretty crazy idea but if you get what I mean would it work??? :D

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Keep in mind what your definition of tall tank is and what the fish's definition of tall is. Go to a lake and walk into the water. What depth do you consider the "shallow part"? Odds are anything less than your knees right? Is your tank taller than 2' deep? What you call tall, the fish call shallow!

tankboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Arkansas
I was thinking something along this line everytime I see a tank with bichirs just literally covering a tank's footprint. If you are gonna have that many in one tank that they will literally touch each other no matter how they move then they should have some shelves or levels in the tank. Would be nice to see one done. I was thinking about making a diy styrofoam background that incorporated another level.

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
kdrun76 but dont you think a catfish or birchir could use more bottom space than height???

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
It would take a tank with a massive (and I mean massive) footprint to pull it off successfully. Otherwise you are just creating caves and overhangs that darken the bottom. As a general rule bottom dwellers like to be as far from the surface as possible, and a shelf is not that place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store