Weld-on #40 to fix crack in eurobrace acrylic

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So the hole i drilled is showing some crazing opposite side of the crack. 2-3 small stress crazing at the top of the brace. Think i should drill a slightly bigger hole?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Sounds like u may need to drill it out again. Worth a shot, wont really hurt anything. Id ask for a picture but i dont think there woking yet on the app. There must be alot of pressure on that top piece/brace. May not be a bad idea to throw a couple small patches over/under the crack with #40 after u drill again.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya the plan is definitely to do a full patch as soon as i figure out the temp home situation. Hard to commit putting my babies in a temp home, I'll stress the whole week I'm sure, so gotta do it right for my own peace of mind. Aiming for February or April. As for the crazing, i check it every week with my water change and it seems to have just started being noticeable. 3 or 4 enough that I see it when looking through the brace at eye level parallel. Kind of milk white, only at the top of the cylindrical hole i drilled where the crack is. So would you expand the existing hole which is 1/16 to something like 1/4? Or maybe give it a bit more time? I can drill it further if it spreads unless the crazing causes it to go a few directions. They're 1mm long if that, no risk when I hit them while drilling? Crack happened November 16th.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ya, id just open it up to 1/4" and see how she fairs...no need to tear the whole tank down for the patches yet. I have alot of old acrylics running with crazing and cracks in the top braces, just have to keep an eye on em as ur doing and hope for the best.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I'll drill it to 1/4 inch if it's not too big. Thanks man! What kind of bit do you use out of curiosity? I imagine it may be prone to melt, i used a small wood bit last time and no issue.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've had good luck drilling lots of holes in 1/4" thick acrylic with cobalt (for metal) drill bits. I don't think I ever went bigger than a 3/16" drill bit though

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I'll drill it to 1/4 inch if it's not too big. Thanks man! What kind of bit do you use out of curiosity? I imagine it may be prone to melt, i used a small wood bit last time and no issue.

I use whatever i find first in my tool hoard lol...regular style bits for wood will work just fine. Mine are usually old and dull but ive never had a problem. Only time ive ever cracked the acrylic drilling is when im rushing by pushing too hard. Patience is a virtue lol.. if your super worried about it, you can clamp a piece of wood underneath to help support the acrylic while u drill.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Nah not super worried about it, first one went fine, I already have a hole i just need to expand so I won't exert too much pressure. If it gives me issue I'll do 1/8 and then 1/4. Just curious that's all, I'll get it done tonight and hopefully that's the last issue I have till I patch it. Would sucks to see it crazing again cuz then I'll feel like I'm under a timer to get it patched haha, and rushed work doesn't work with these things. Thanks for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store