Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Wels Catfish (Silurus glanis) in NJ

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by black_sun, Mar 13, 2009.

1. black_sun

black_sun MFK Members

Mar 23, 2014
      I just came back from my favorite hole-in-the-wall LFS...

Anyone in NJ want a 6-7" Wels Catfish?

The owner snagged me as soon as I walked into the store (he knows I love catfish and crayfish, so anytime anything new from either group comes in I get dragged around the store) and showed me the catfish. Man, it is awesome looking. Now, if someone would only build me a pond, I'd buy it. But in any event, it was really neat to see one in real life... I wonder how long it sits at the LFS before someone buys it. I hope it stays there for a while, it'd be interesting to see how quickly/slowly it grows (anyone know their growth rate, off hand?).

2. mkman

mkman MFK Members

Jan 28, 2014
      If I'm correct they grow slowly. There is someone with a large albino wels and its a slow grower.

3. PennReels84

PennReels84 MFK Members

Chris
      Oct 19, 2014
      where in nj??

4. black_sun

black_sun MFK Members

Mar 23, 2014
      Hmm, I wonder how old some of those monsters are that they catch on the fishing shows now. Real cool though, and I bet an albino wels looks real neat. ^_^

East Hanover, Essex County

5. Acheloos

Acheloos MFK Members

Oct 4, 2013
      In fact the wels is like most other fish which reaches large sizes a very fast-growing. Of courese there are a lot of parametres like water temperature and availability of food, but in general they grow very fast. They will reach a metre in a comparably short time, and slow down with their growth when they are about this length, but even then they can grow comparably fast. But anyway, it is highly unlikely that any wels would only come close to 2m in a pond or aquarium.

6. mkman

mkman MFK Members

Jan 28, 2014
      Acheloos, the piraiba (brachyplatystoma filamentosum) is a very large catfish and there are many on here who have some for at least a year now and its only 12 inches or slightly more. I would say thats fairly slow growing as a RTC could grow to 12 inches in a matter of months.

7. necrocanis

necrocanis Catfish God
      Staff Member

Mar 11, 2015
      I can attest the the piraiba growing slow, but have no expirience with the wels. My piraiba has been eating like a pig over the last few months and has only put on another 2" maybe in like 4 months. Water params are perfect. Did get a bladder infection from overeating, but he's better and eating good again. There is a member that has a fila that is over 4', he said he's had it about 6 years I believe. Keeps it in a 20,000 gal pond.

8. Acheloos

Acheloos MFK Members

Oct 4, 2013
      Of course there are exceptions, so I wrote that MOST fish which reach large sizs do grow fast. Sometimes there are differences even among very similar species. Pikes can show monstrously fast growth with enough food, but muskies grow in general much slower. But there are a lot of big fish which grow very fast, for example arapaimas, the giant pangasius and beluga sturgeons. There are of course even small fish which can grow very fast, especially species with a short life.

9. necrocanis

necrocanis Catfish God
      Staff Member

Mar 11, 2015
      Guess the only thing to do it buy one and grow it out :)

10. Acheloos

Acheloos MFK Members

Oct 4, 2013
      I have already read some experiences in german forums from people which had a wels in their tanks. They all wrote that their wels showed massive food-consume and a corresponding growth.