Wet/dry Filter for 180 g

KoiGorgon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hawaii
I have been going through a few ideas and this is the one I think would work best for me. Just looking for some thoughts/feedback.

four 5 gallon buckets would be connected to the overflow from the tank, all housing ~3.5g scrubbies with a filter pad on the top rested on a bottom portion of bucket with holes drilled in it. Eggcrate between the filter and the inside bucket.

all of these would then drain via gravity (they would be higher than) to a fifth bucket housing the pump.

Does anyone see any problems with flow on this, i.e. too much flow would get to one bucket, also does anyone have any ideas on the plumbing on this? I was thinking of t'ing it off from the overflow and down to t it off again between two buckets from each side of that. that way all of the branches would be centered so flow should be equal to each bucket.

The whole idea behind this is to have it be ultra-portable and possibly manufacturable for many sizes of tanks.

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
Not to sound like a jerk, but...
This filter system going in a basement, with the tank on the first floor.
The bucket filter has been around for a long time, in various forms, the bulk of the ones that actually work are media containers in a sump style system.
The others, that try to be canister styles, usually end up leaking. Either from the lids or bad bulkhead fittings.

KoiGorgon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hawaii
KaiserSousay;3544549; said:
Not to sound like a jerk, but...
This filter system going in a basement, with the tank on the first floor.
The bucket filter has been around for a long time, in various forms, the bulk of the ones that actually work are media containers in a sump style system.
The others, that try to be canister styles, usually end up leaking. Either from the lids or bad bulkhead fittings.
1. It's going under my aquarium.
2. I've looked around a good bit and I hadn't seen a multiple bucket filtration system like this, hence the questioning.
3. So you're basically saying it's a good idea. Thanks!

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
How do you plan on sealing the polypropelene plastic buckets to PVC pipes water tight?

Why not just use a old aquarium and make it alot simpler and easier on your self?

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
1. It's going under my aquarium.
With the avarage height of a 5g bucket being just under 15 inches, with lid..your multiple bucket filter would need a "stand-asaures".

2. I've looked around a good bit and I hadn't seen a multiple bucket filtration system like this, hence the questioning.
Again, not wanting to put this thing down, nor make fun of you..This would be a monster to clean/service, even if you could assemble it and get the whole thing leak proof, which I don`t think would happen. Would be my guess as to why none like this have been posted as finished projects, that work. Most have seen the number of problems involved and stepped on to filter systems with a good "track record" and added their own personal touches/improvements.
3. So you're basically saying it's a good idea. Thanks!
Huh:confused:

KoiGorgon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2009
Hawaii
bitteraspects;3544628; said:
you know you can buy a big ass rubbermaid tub for like $10 right?
for a temp home for the fishies while their current one is converted to a sump? Grand schemes. Alright, now I feel like a moron. Anywho, I'm not sure where to find feed stores in HI. On to google!

EDIT: Now where are these "big ass rubbermaid tubs for $10?" Having troubles finding it myself and if somone else already has info, much easier that way. Thank you!

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
He means you can use a rubbermaid container as the wet/dry instead of a series of buckets. Home Depot, Lowes, walmart...they should be easy to find. Which island are you on?

You could use buckets as the media containers still and let them drain into the rubbermaid container.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store