Wet/ Dry Sump 20L

scorp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2007
Germany
You should do it the other way around. Have the plants before the actual filtration. This way nothing will get into the pump and the plants have all the nutrients/nitrates. Plus, the debris can settle down it that chamber, so you can easily remove it and cleaning intervals of the rest of the media becomes longer. In addition, you shouldn't mix different grain sizes of sand (look it up somewhere, it clogs), just use the coarse one.

Good luck and keep the pics coming ;)

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco
scorp;4581740; said:
You should do it the other way around. Have the plants before the actual filtration. This way nothing will get into the pump and the plants have all the nutrients/nitrates. Plus, the debris can settle down it that chamber, so you can easily remove it and cleaning intervals of the rest of the media becomes longer. In addition, you shouldn't mix different grain sizes of sand (look it up somewhere, it clogs), just use the coarse one.

Good luck and keep the pics coming ;)
Ive already siliconed in where my bio balls are going to be. But the nitrifying bacteria breaks it down to nitrites right? Cant plants use that as well? Im just going to have floating plants in my refugium so i dont need a substrate necessarily. I wanted to make it a wet dry sump, so the water needs to pass through that first I thought, either way i wouldnt have any way to get the water through the dry part of the sump once the water comes into the sump. Oh well. I didnt really think it out as well as I could have. But I will consider that for next time.

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco
I dont mean to be rude or anything, but I'm going to double check w my local fish store, cause I have been explaining what I plan on doing step by step and he can help me work out kinks. I appreciate the help

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco

In this image i was guessing about the size of the plastic egg crate I would need to fill the bottom of my wet dry with.

Here is my final product. I clipped the corners so that they don't tear the silicone that is sealing the tank.

This is the egg crate put in, I haven't sealed it in yet. I'm probably gonna seal it just from the top.

makoshoemaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2010
San Francisco
Here are the pictures that didnt post from the beginning.

Sorry everyone. I moved my pictures over to a sump folder and they got deleted from where i had posted them originally. Hope I didnt make this too difficult for everyone to follow

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
put the elodea in ur tank, cuz its gona need a light or ur gona have alot of dead plants in ur sump

szymon328

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
New Jersey
makoshoemaker;4618884; said:
Thats what i was planning on. Elodea doesnt need light?
my bad i ment ur main tank not ur sump cuz elodea needs a ****-ton of light

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store