Wet Pet, final questions!

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
So I am going to dedicate my 120g tank to a single Male Midas or Male Red Devil. I have 3 Clown Loaches in the tank that I would like to keep, they are between 3-4inches. I plan on giving them ample hiding spots and plan on getting the Midas or Devil young so they can grow together. My question is I want to ensure myself a bull male (biggest, thickest, and best kok potential) so are there any tricks to spotting this or how many should I get to grow them out and pick the best one. Also, I know I can't put any other fish in but could you recommend any dithers(pref not silver dollars)? Also since the Clowns are already 4inches and the devil will take a year to get big, they should be fine together right? Thanks for the help!

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
You'll need to vent the Midas to make sure male/female. Other than that, just pick a really solid/healthy looking male, feed good quality food & do frequent large water changes and you should get a good fish.

As for the loaches, I don't see it working out. They are super slow growers - that is why large ones are so expensive. Your Midas will probably be close to ten inches & bulky after a year. Your clown loaches will not be much bigger than they are now. They will have a hard time competing for food with a Midas.

If you don't like SDs, you could use tiger barbs, rainbowfish, or any large bodied tetras. You'll likely lose a few here & there depending on your Midas' personailty.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
When I had my clown loaches they were about 2 years old and the big one was about 6 inches lol. Why do you want dithers in the tank? Red Devils or Midas are not shy fish at all. Anyone that has owned one will tell you the same. They will probably also tell you that they are not tolerant of tankmates. My midevil is not even tolerant of my hands or cats haha. If you do decide to put dithers in there make sure remove them before the fish removes them for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

albyoscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2006
The home of the CHIEEEFS
Yeah if ya want dithers CL I would get something cheap and easily replacable, around me a 4" CL is worth between 50 and 75 bucks. The Midas or Devil will surely get tired of them in his tank

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Yeah if ya want dithers CL I would get something cheap and easily replacable, around me a 4" CL is worth between 50 and 75 bucks. The Midas or Devil will surely get tired of them in his tank
This is also the wrong idea imo. How about you skip on dithers instead of treating fish as expendable. Ugh.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
When I had my clown loaches they were about 2 years old and the big one was about 6 inches lol. Why do you want dithers in the tank? Red Devils or Midas are not shy fish at all. Anyone that has owned one will tell you the same. They will probably also tell you that they are not tolerant of tankmates. My midevil is not even tolerant of my hands or cats haha. If you do decide to put dithers in there make sure remove them before the fish removes them for you.

Thats true, dithers are not nesesary, and once that devil reaches 8 or so inches your clown loaches are toast.

labiatus55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2006
ny
my two tolerate silver dollars and many other cichlids, they are both 9-10 inches, much less aggressive than
most, so you heve to try things and see what happens

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Hey thanks guys your right no dithers, just actually ran into totally by chance a very nice Red Devil or Midas!!!! He's about 6-7 inches and already banging glass Awsome to own this fish it's great but I see what you guys mean there is no need for dithers. I did leave the clowns in there but I was worried about it, he has def seen them and has not cared that much. I will post a pick as soon as I can get him to stop attacking me looking at him or the glass, really cool!

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Hey thanks guys your right no dithers, just actually ran into totally by chance a very nice Red Devil or Midas!!!! He's about 6-7 inches and already banging glass Awsome to own this fish it's great but I see what you guys mean there is no need for dithers. I did leave the clowns in there but I was worried about it, he has def seen them and has not cared that much. I will post a pick as soon as I can get him to stop attacking me looking at him or the glass, really cool!
Gotta love a angry fish lol. Can't wait to see a pic of it

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
image.jpg
Sorry for bad pic what do you think? I think it's a Red Devil Male but what do you guys think!!!!

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store