What are the best Algea Eaters?

FishLuvr4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I have 6 mollies and 1 shark in a tank, and looking for a good algea eater. Can anyone suggest the best option to go with the existing fish?

Thanks!

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
What size tank? What kind of algae have you that Mollies aren't eating?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Guys, what if this is a five gallon tank? Need more info.

What kind of 'shark' is it?
How long has the tank been set up?
Is it near a window and how bad is the algae?

Darth Scohin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Mountain Valley, Near Flats
knifegill;4484370; said:
Guys, what if this is a five gallon tank? Need more info.

What kind of 'shark' is it?
How long has the tank been set up?
Is it near a window and how bad is the algae?
Agreed need info to aid could be he just thinks he needs an Algae Eater

FishLuvr4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Chicagoland
6 Mollies (2 black, 2 dals, 2 silver lyretail), 1 rainbow shark (approx. 2") in a 10 gal tank.

I was skeptical about the need for an algae eater altogether, but it was suggested bc of the shark. The shark is a new addition, but the 6 mollies have been together for a while.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
The tank is too small for the shark. It's belligerent enough to stake its claim and harass your other fish. Are the mollies standard or balloon?

What algae problem do you have? For such a small tank, I would not add an algae eater. It's not that hard to clean them off and besides, algae are beneficial to all your fish especially mollies.

FishLuvr4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Lupin;4484397; said:
The tank is too small for the shark. It's belligerent enough to stake its claim and harass your other fish. Are the mollies standard or balloon?

What algae problem do you have? For such a small tank, I would not add an algae eater. It's not that hard to clean them off and besides, algae are beneficial to all your fish especially mollies.
Actually this is probably the ONLY shark out there that thrives with other fish of the same size (such as mollies) but does not fare well with its own kind.

As far as the algae eater, I am glad I am not the only one that feels it would be better to NOT add one.

Thanks everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store