What are the most hardy Marine Puffers?

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
I've had several marine puffers. All of which were beautiful, all of which i've failed miserably with.
I took almost a 2 year break from puffers. I currently have a 125 gallon that has been running salt water for
almost 2.5 years. I'm ready to give a puffer one more shot. I'll be in the tank on it's own, I plan to get rid
of the Undulated Trigger I have in there now. Any suggestions on something really hardy that I can keep in a
125 gallon for years, that is interesting enough to keep by himself.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I allways go for the dog faced. It is a bliss fish to own.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
ALL puffers are hardy & long-lived, if you start off with a healthy one. What we need to do is find out why you have consistently failed keeping puffers. What tank mates have you kept with them? What was your water change schedule? Were you testing the parameters regularly? How much live rock in there? Powerheads? Protein skimmer?

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
Stars and stripes puffers are cool. Grow crazy fast too.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
No way can you keep a S&S in a 125g!

PufferGhoti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
canada
Suggestions for a 125gal.... porky, immaculate puffer, Manila ? I understand its best to diagnose the failures but 2.5yrs should be stable enough if its FOWL or has regular water changes... to me good flow is important to keep the interest up for puffers..

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Valentini! But as pufferpunk said all my research has come up with puffers are a Hardy fish if they don't come sick, and with IPs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PufferGhoti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
canada
if you are being realistic you need a two tank succession plan beyond a 125gal to get the most out of a mappa..... despite it being available and gorgeous its difficult to accommodate one appropriately

PufferGhoti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
canada
Valentini are pretty easy and in this context do not make best use if the tank alone. We have a valentini currently in a reef tank (100gal) destined for the 125gal to combine with the immaculate puffer (only 3inches or so) we will move from the 90gal when its of any size... mappa just grows too quickly to handle... IMO... check my post in the library in Canthigaster article for more academic discussion at the other place for Canthigaster info .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store