What are these tiny little bugs in my betta tank? They destroyed my plants almost over night but my fish seems

Edvard08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2020
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
PXL_20210123_220254173.jpg

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
This is interesting.
My first thought would be baby snails.
I wouldn’t think that if it were snails there would be so many this tiny.
Usually if it were snails you would see some adults, unless eggs made their way into the tank on something you’ve added like plants or wood from another tank.
Are they an actual multi legged bug or pod of some kind or snails?

Edvard08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2020
Definitely not snails there's no adults and I haven't added any new hardscape or plants into the tank for 6 months. I can't see any legs but they swim in the water.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Definitely not snails there's no adults and I haven't added any new hardscape or plants into the tank for 6 months. I can't see any legs but they swim in the water.
Now when you say swim what do you mean by that? Are they just cruising around at a steady pace or are they jetting/jumping around like a flea? If it's the latter they may be a subspecie of water fleas.

Edvard08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2020
Do they resemble any of these. These are all various freshwater pods.View attachment 1449259
All I can see is person is what you can see in the photo tbh. Just little silver specks in the tank I can't see any legs but maybe under a microscope it looks like the smaller ones. Is there any way to get rid of these pods?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
All I can see is person is what you can see in the photo tbh. Just little silver specks in the tank I can't see any legs but maybe under a microscope it looks like the smaller ones. Is there any way to get rid of these pods?
Do the fish not eat them? Usually these do not last long Ina tank with fish.

I’m not sure what you have.

Copper based medicine will kill any type of invertebrate but that is the nuclear option.
I wouldn’t recommend that just for this.

Maybe someone else can give some advice.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Edvard08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2020
Do the fish not eat them? Usually these do not last long Ina tank with fish.

I’m not sure what you have.

Copper based medicine will kill any type of invertebrate but that is the nuclear option.
I wouldn’t recommend that just for this.

Maybe someone else can give some advice.
There's just one betta in there and he doesn't seem interested in them what so ever. Thanks for trying man

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store