What are you reading?

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
Are there any other reading hobbyist here? If so what are you reading?

I am a religious studies nerd and am reading a great book by W. Dever: Did God Have a wife.

I also enjoy Sci Fi, but have not found a good novel lately. Any suggestions?

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Ashamedly I don't really do much reading, I should do a lot more. A couple of years ago however, on another forum, some guy mentioned an American author called Charles Bukowski, and a particular book of his called "Post Office".

I looked at some reviews and everyone was gushing about it, so I bought it on my kindle. Fast forward a few months and I'd gone through all his books! This guy is simply brilliant. Incidently jjohnwm jjohnwm , I think you'd enjoy books by Charles Bukowski.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Incidently jjohnwm jjohnwm , I think you'd enjoy books by Charles Bukowski.
Incredible; I've never read the guy, but you are the second person within a week who has recommended him to me. Will definitely check him out. :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Incredible; I've never read the guy, but you are the second person within a week who has recommended him to me. Will definitely check him out. :)
He has, let's say, a certain style of writing, not like any other writer I've come across. I'm pretty sure you'll like him.

Apparently he wrote a lot of poetry too, books of the stuff, but going off other reviews his poetry wasn't a patch on his novels.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, that's exactly the sort of vague recommendation my local friend gave me as well. Maybe I'm paranoid, but...why do I get the impression that I may be insulted when I read this guy? :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol, that's exactly the sort of vague recommendation my local friend gave me as well. Maybe I'm paranoid, but...why do I get the impression that I may be insulted when I read this guy? :)
Lol. In many of his books he plays himself but gives himself an alias! So basically you're not reading about some made up guy, you're reading about Charles Bukowski!

He is a heavy gambling, heavy smoking, heavy drinking bar fly whose attitude to women leaves something to be desired, lol.

He has a certain way with language which I'm sure a wordsmith such as yourself will love, lol.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
If your into sci fi check out Robert Heinlein, I'd start with the moon is a harsh mistress or methuselas children. I Also really enjoy Orson Scott Card and the Ender universe books. Andy Weir is another good one, but only read a couple of his. I guess it depends on the type of sci fi you're into, these are mostly space travel types.
Stephen King is an obvious for paranormal type books but can't recommend enough that people read the dark tower series.

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
If your into sci fi check out Robert Heinlein, I'd start with the moon is a harsh mistress or methuselas children. I Also really enjoy Orson Scott Card and the Ender universe books. Andy Weir is another good one, but only read a couple of his. I guess it depends on the type of sci fi you're into, these are mostly space travel types.
Stephen King is an obvious for paranormal type books but can't recommend enough that people read the dark tower series.
thanks for the recommendations. I used to read a lot of ray bradbury. I have seen the Olsen card movies, but never read books.

mostly I read non fiction history of Egypt, Israel, Canna, etc. fun stuff, and some cool sci fi parrellels (not in the ancient alien stuff, but interesting world views that my forefathers fathers held).

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Very cool, love Bradbury, also check out Hp Lovecraft, the living fungi of yuggoth and the mountains of madness are 2i remember well.
I'm all over the board with reading. Never saw the movies yet but usually the books are much better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store