What are you using on your bean overflow... Ball valve or Gate Valve?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Cheers, will have to get some to loosen up the ball valve I bought for my new set up!

redtailcatfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2013
nj
Simple Vaseline, I have used it for the o-rings on my Fluval externals for more than 2 years without any issues or a single leaky cannister which Fluvals used to be notorious for. If you check Fluvals website they suggest its use. It has been on my sump ball vales for well over a year now. You really only need the smallest amount, not enough to gunk up just enough so the ball sides easily.
I just did this on my ball valve on my pump and I must say it made a huge difference. Theirs almost no resistance now

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Interesting and cool solution on the ball valve issue. BUT I think the biggest advantage the gate has over the ball valve is a better internal valve that has a finer adjustment by design.. Correct?

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
^ correct

gate valves are designed for fine adjustments
ball valves are designed for quick on/off

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
^ correct

gate valves are designed for fine adjustments
ball valves are designed for quick on/off

Same thing I thought.............

PS..... Your Avatar is creeper..... Not that it bothers me or I mind. Just thought you should know. lol

bozatron

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2012
Dubai
Gate valves are much better than ball valves, for that exact reason ^^ they are designed to adjust flow where as ball valves are more of an on/off. Trouble is in most places gate valves are much more expensive and in my case simply not available at all. So I had to go for ball valves, given the option I would choose PVC gate valves as my first choice.

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
I use ball valves and wished I used gates for the fine adj..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store