what canisters are okay for salt????

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
just wondering what canisters are good for salt water tanks in the range of 20 gallons to 75 gallons.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
No reason you couldn't. In fact any canister I can think of would work just fine on a salt tank.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Mattcomptonassvanhorn;1055780; said:
Magnum 350s are money in the bank. They have never failed me.
Mag350s are great filters and great for polishing, in fact I run them on my tanks....but IME...

If you're running the micron cartridge on them and don't change it out regularly they start producing nitrates BAD, they get clogged and lose their flow, and they're tricky to breakdown and get up and running again.

Best overall if you keep up on maintaining it, IMO - Mag350

Easiest to break down and clean and still polishes well - Rena xp series.
I think easy is important 'cause then you're less likely to slack on maintanance long enough that you end up with nitrate problems or a clogged filter. (They're hard to clog anyway, I've yet to have it happen on one)

So I say if you have experience breaking down magnum filters and you're for sure you'll break them down and change the cartridge on a regular basis then run that.

If you want something that's easy to break down and maintain and will still do a good job go with a rena xp series.

Fluvals I personally stay away from since me and others have had problems with the seals being bad, them leaking, or just plain low flow rate.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
I have been using the Fluval FX5 and have had no problems
in my 217 gallon saltwater tank. So far so good!

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm using both HOB and Rena XP3s on my predator tank. I agree with ShadowBass, the Renas are very easy to clean.

Are you planning on keeping corals/inverts in there?? The only thing to watch out for is that the canister filters (well, any filter for that matter) will remove a lot of the trace elements as well. This is bad news for any filter feeders...so you may have to set up a drip system to compensate for the removal of these essential elements.

...just my 2 cents.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
FX5s seem to be ok from what I've heard(I don't have personal experience with them), but the 04 and 05 series are total crap.
I have 5 Rena xp3s and all run great, I never have problems with them.
I have 2 Mag350s and both do what they're supposed to, I haven't had a failure other than the micron cartridge getting clogged quickly.
I have one Cascade, and so far it has done great, I'm planning on buying more.

Eheim is supposed to be really good, but way too overpriced for my liking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store