What did/have/would you do if you where told to "downsize" ?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I hear ya =) the 120 holds my husbands fish lol.. the pool actually houses my fish.. granted we both share In the responsabilities ect but hubby would want to get rid of the pool before his beloved Bruce.. and the 40 is up in our living room and would just be weird not having at least 1 tank where I can sit and relax and watch. Granted if the downsizing hasn't lowered the electric ect enough then we'll be downsizing again... It was just one of those things where its like.. huh... I have all the tanks set-up again.. when did that happen?

I also managed to downsize to the point that the tanks we do have left to maintain are far easier to maintain as they both hold a single knife fish and some form of algae eaters/live plants ect. No more crazy 50% wcs 3x a week or outrageous food bills.. well other then the pool lol.

And yes our 2 kids and mortage come first. Growing up is a buzz kill lol. having young kids sucks all your time/money away... But I'm looking forward to being able to dive back into some of the crazy stuff once the kids are older.

Glad you got that all straightened out I remember reading about it =/ I hated renting.
Well try to compromise with him. I would definitely keep the 40 cause I know how it feels not to have a tank to just relax and watch. Maybe just empty all the tanks your not keeping running and store them till you can come back or once the kids are older. I'm glad I only have one tank now for that same reason. I kind of like just having to maintain one tank instead of 4-6 20-75 gallon tanks like I had before. The problem I see what's going to happen with the bigger fish that average fish keepers won't be able to take proper care of.

Thanks I'm glad i did too. I also hate renting well at least here. Ever since new management came it's just been crazy. I'm happy that I've finally got a second job and making more money. Me and my wife have been thinking of getting a foreclosed house and fixing it up since we are now expecting baby #2.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Funny I'm seeing this thread. I was daydreaming earlier today about this. I just got done building a fishroom. I have one more major project, assembling my 700. No more room after that. Money is getting tighter and I thought to myself....if it ever becomes necessary what would I get rid of. The 700 won't fit in the living room and it wouldn't sell for much. I think I would keep it and go with cold water fish. That would lower operating costs and I think feed costs. Most of my other tanks I could get decent money for. I could get good money for most fish if I shipped. So to answer the question, downsizing would be cutting back to one tank. A 700 gallon tank. Not bad, huh?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm really facing this problem right now too. I've put off facing the facts and now I'm being beaten over the head with them. I might be forced to sell off Max because I don't really have the means to care for him for the foreseeable future. He's just too big and it's not fair to him. I might be forced to focus on my brevis. It's not what I want to do, but I realize that it's whats best for the fish. I've already rehomed my arowana for this reason, I'm beginning to think it's whats best for Max, too.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I'm really facing this problem right now too. I've put off facing the facts and now I'm being beaten over the head with them. I might be forced to sell off Max because I don't really have the means to care for him for the foreseeable future. He's just too big and it's not fair to him. I might be forced to focus on my brevis. It's not what I want to do, but I realize that it's whats best for the fish. I've already rehomed my arowana for this reason, I'm beginning to think it's whats best for Max, too.
I mean if you know someone in the area who can home him better? The guy who took your arowana?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I mean if you know someone in the area who can home him better? The guy who took your arowana?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Important fact that I forgot to mention in that post- the impetus for this decision is a cross country move. If I give Max to someone else, it'll be permanent.

Sigh. Hard decisions are in the making for me.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I'd sell my 120 keep my 240 and call it a day. No real need for my 120 other than for my Severums as a show tank, but, I could always put them in my 240 with my bass.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
having starting to set up my ghetto ponds, I don't think I can go back to having just a five gallon set up. If I was having financial issues ( thank the lord that in my short life time I haven't seen anything like it) I would use heavy plant filtration and lava rock, instead of electrical additions, and I would keep coldwater (kinda what i'm doing with the ponds). I'm currently setting up a 7 and a 30 gallon tanks, so if I needed to take down the 6 gallon betta comm, I would do so.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd pick one or two fish that I love the most and focus on keeping them alive and happy.
Exactly what I did. Before we relocated to our home town ~2 years ago I had a 370g full of CA cichlids, black aro and plecs, 210g with SA cichllids, 80g salt and 40g community. I kept the 40g and sold everything else, used the money to build a custom low/wide ~110g tank to keep my plecs as they are the slowest growing and hardest to replace. Once we had sold our old place, bought a new one, and settled into work etc I built the 2000L tank I have now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store