What do you feed saltwater fish/invertz?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
if you feed those cultured prepackaged containers of pods have fun dropping $15-25/month in food for your mandarin.. you better reeeeeally want that fish lol

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
A Refugium by definition is a refuge - a place were things can grew + breed undisturbed by other aquatic life. Whether it's in a sump, bottle, tank, or cage other fish can't get at them. Mandarins don't hold the all exclusive tag on hunting copepods - infact most reef fish eat them at a far more aggressive rate making it very difficult to care for mandarins. Further more copepods don't like a lot of flow meaning the fuge needs to be in a low flow spot usually in a small tank outside of the sump or in a divided area in the sump were flow has been limited.

Mandarins are not good beginner fish - it's best to learn how to care for other fish 1st. After you have longevity caring for the other fish then mandarins.

As for fish food I make my own in a blender - Shrimp, krill, baby clams, mussels, Mysis, bay scallops, squid, large plankton, small plankton, reef plankton, phytoplankton, bacterio plankton, cyclopzees, brine, and seaweed.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Dang it!!! Just noticed who posted this. Didn't think to look until the argument over trying to skirt the requirements I delineated. Tell you what, go ahead and do what you want. Don't consider my 48 years experience when making your decisions. I'm done with this thread.
I was wondering why you were entertaining him.... :nilly:

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
A Refugium by definition is a refuge - a place were things can grew + breed undisturbed by other aquatic life. Whether it's in a sump, bottle, tank, or cage other fish can't get at them. Mandarins don't hold the all exclusive tag on hunting copepods - infact most reef fish eat them at a far more aggressive rate making it very difficult to care for mandarins. Further more copepods don't like a lot of flow meaning the fuge needs to be in a low flow spot usually in a small tank outside of the sump or in a divided area in the sump were flow has been limited.

Mandarins are not good beginner fish - it's best to learn how to care for other fish 1st. After you have longevity caring for the other fish then mandarins.

As for fish food I make my own in a blender - Shrimp, krill, baby clams, mussels, Mysis, bay scallops, squid, large plankton, small plankton, reef plankton, phytoplankton, bacterio plankton, cyclopzees, brine, and seaweed.
My tank has a huge refuge in the back. Here since nobody seems to understand what I'm talking about.... PICS! The first picture has the little area I had in mind. See, very little flow, its in between the heater and the skimmer. It goes WAY down btw.

uploadfromtaptalk1356540704372.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1356540727800.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store