What Do YOU View as Invasive/Harmful?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Found an interesting article on nanfa while skimming some old american currents articles. It's about introduced species and what we can do about it.

http://www.nanfa.org/articles/bockedit.shtml

I love the author's idea at the end that if you don't want to kill the invasive fish and have tank/pond space to take it home with you, that's definitely something I'd do if I had enough tanks for all the carp I catch :). That may be feasible for species such as trout however for those that have the budget to keep them.
This is extremely illegal in many places with some species. Try that with a snakehead, and you're asking for a misdemeanor and fines.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This is extremely illegal in many places with some species. Try that with a snakehead, and you're asking for a misdemeanor and fines.
Of course I was excluding species it's illegal to keep in your area. Snakeheads, walking cats, etc that are a VERY large threat and illegal to keep should be killed immediately IMO since they can't be kept and leave them to be eaten by native land animals like raccoons.

I mean it'd be good to keep invasive that are legal to keep like common carp, rainbow trout, brown trout, striped bass, etc.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Worst invasive species?

Human beings.
Nice to see others who agree. I can preach and preach that to some people I know and they're still bent on thinking that humans never do anything wrong and were created perfectly, some specific people are pretty wealthy republicans that are related to me so I try to avoid going on loud rants around them the best I can to prevent any family problems.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Snakehead, snakehead, and more snakehead. in my area there is a pretty decent fine if you release snakehead back in the water. When i was little, i went down to the lake with a rod , a knife, and a bat. everytime I caught one I hit it with a bat (just to the point that it would not try to bite me), cut it up, and catch catfish with it. Eventually a flood came through and wiped em all out. Take note i was little when I caught them so my snakehead slaughtering act was over long before now. If i caught one now i would peacefully kill it.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
Worst invasive species?

Human beings.
Ain't that the truth. I look at my house in my suburb where I live and can't help but think of the grasslands that were destroyed to build it ... which caused how much displacement to how many species of things.

As been said many times now ... change one thing and it'll send the scales off kilter no matter what, and you don't want to piss off mother nature. No matter how much or how little the consequences appear to 1 or 2 people's opinions. At times said change in an ecosystem can allow a minor natural predator in an area, become a major natural predator in the same area almost wiping out another species line from that area. And we don't have to look at just water type creatures ... plants, land and aquatic species you name it ... If it's not from there, keep it out period.

I really enjoyed the analogy of having someone come into one's own home using electricity and eating the food, but expecting one to still survive on what's budgeted ... perfect.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Snakehead, snakehead, and more snakehead. in my area there is a pretty decent fine if you release snakehead back in the water. When i was little, i went down to the lake with a rod , a knife, and a bat. everytime I caught one I hit it with a bat (just to the point that it would not try to bite me), cut it up, and catch catfish with it. Eventually a flood came through and wiped em all out. Take note i was little when I caught them so my snakehead slaughtering act was over long before now. If i caught one now i would peacefully kill it.
Should just release them back, there isn't any evidence that snakeheads are harmful to ecosystems. Lot of guys on here have released the snakeheads back in the water and they never got in trouble. Public hates these snakeheads because of the media feeds the public full of misinformed facts they got from Hollywood movies. At this moment I'm more concerned about zebra mussels, Asian carps and lionfish invading into new areas than snakeheads.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Should just release them back, there isn't any evidence that snakeheads are harmful to ecosystems. Lot of guys on here have released the snakeheads back in the water and they never got in trouble. Public hates these snakeheads because of the media feeds the public full of misinformed facts they got from Hollywood movies. At this moment I'm more concerned about zebra mussels, Asian carps and lionfish invading into new areas than snakeheads.
I agree, I haven't caught a snake head in years so I don't have to worry about killing them. Thanks for your concern though.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
Everything has an impact weither immediately noticeable or not. Most of your/our likes or dislikes are personal preference based and not long term environmental based.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
exactly. some species mentioned can hybridize or be direct competition.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago

Completely agree, where is south florida where snakeheads are I never found snakeheads as a dominant sp., but found them with other native and other exotics thriving together.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store