What equipment do I need for my Fish Collector/Camper Van?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I am building out a Small Camper Van from a standard Ford E-150 cargo van. I need to install a tank(s) to keep the fish I collect in, alive and happy until I get them home. I am planning on using a 30 gal barrel and a few 5 gal buckets to keep collected fish in. I was just going to have the containers and air pumps and air stones. Do I need more?

I am really in search of Spotted Bullhead Catfish for my aquarium. They are only found in a hand full on rivers in the Florida Panhandle. The odds of catching one is slim. I will also keep any species of fish I want to transfer to tanks at home, or to my 1/3 acre pond.

Any tips will be appreciated. Fish Hunting is my primary goal for this van.

We will start our trip on Lake Talquin, because I found four reports of people catching them there. I will be bringing my old 18' canoe (if I can fiberglass 12 holes and cracks in the hull) I am thinking about purchasing a portable fish finder too, because people who have caught these fish say they love deep, clear water around structures.

This is a cool site that shows lake maps. This is our first stop...
Lake Talquin interactive depth map

Last edited:
Reactions: robmcd

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Our trip is scheduled for May 12th -22nd.
Here is a map showing where the Spotted Bullhead Catfish has been caught.
Spotted Catfish Location Map location.jpg

Spotted Bullhead Catfish
Spotted Bullhead Catfish.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Don't forget that depending on the fishing methods you would employ, and the type and size of fish you seek, different permitting regulations may apply to you; these would also vary state to state, and perhaps even by county. You want to have all permitting clarified and accomplished. A collector/camper van sounds like something state or county officials would be very inquisitive about. And generally it is a good idea that people follow regulations.

Reactions: jjohnwm and deeda

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Don't forget that depending on the fishing methods you would employ, and the type and size of fish you seek, different permitting regulations may apply to you; these would also vary state to state, and perhaps even by county. You want to have all permitting clarified and accomplished. A collector/camper van sounds like something state or county officials would be very inquisitive about. And generally it is a good idea that people follow regulations.
Officially it is just a camper van that my wife and I use to go camping and fishing. I have read the fishing regulations and requirements for the State and you are right. There are regulations specific to specific locations and lakes. I will adhere to all rules and regulations. I cannot afford not to!

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Florida Regulations:
What regulations apply to harvesting fish for home aquaria?
Rules and regulations for recreational take and possession apply. You cannot be in possession, nor may your aquarium contain more than these limits. Legal methods of collecting and license requirements also apply. You need a freshwater fishing license to take (defined as “taking, attempting to take, pursuing, hunting, molesting, capturing, or killing any freshwater fish, their nests or eggs, by any means, whether or not such actions result in obtaining possession of such freshwater fish or their nests or eggs”). Avoid taking Florida’s endangered species. A list of them can be found at MyFWC.com/WildlifeHabitats.

Reactions: dogofwar

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Sweet! Maybe a plastic bin, or something like that. Make sure to get a few battery-powered aerator/bubbler!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The main thing is to be able to keep fish aerated, relatively cool, to frequently change water and to keep big fish from eating smaller ones.

The rest is organizing your camper so that your living area and fishy aren't intermingled.

The easiest approach is to keep fish in coolers with battery-operated air pumps - maybe one for larger fish and one for smaller ones. For changing water (and you want to change water on fish that are freshly caught at least twice per day initially and then at least daily thereafter).

My kids and I love dip netting and collecting our own fish. Hope you have good luck in your quest!

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store