What fish am I???

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
fish.jpgSo i bought this guy in a tank with no labels... he kinda looks like a Hap...

fish.jpg

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
can you get a better picture? so we can see the colors and patterns a little bit better

rusty2012

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2013
n/a
looks like a african cichlid one of the blue zebra cichlids hard to see there colors ussually bright and con vary alot

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
looks like a african cichlid one of the blue zebra cichlids hard to see there colors ussually bright and con vary alot
No way. Shape is way off for a mbuna. If it was sold without a name, you can't really put an ID on it. Just call it an assorted peacock.

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
if you really wanna know i can analyze his dna and compare it to a database... but i'd have to kill him :nilly: lol
the funny thing is i actually debated doing this to identify one of my peacocks and get college credit at the same time. but he died before the semester and i didnt think of freezing him up
:frog:

rusty2012

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2013
n/a
definently a african cichlid but your right on the assortment part assorted is a nice way to say inbreed

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
Thanks guys, I'll try to get a better pic tonight. It definitely looks like a peacock though.

rusty2012

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2013
n/a
Hybrids
A lot of the Mbuna sold in aquarium shops are hybrids. These should be avoided like the plague! Hybrids are unpredictable in terms of size, behaviour and colour. If paying a bit more means that you can get a true species or geographical variant, then that’s the way to go.
Conversely, don’t dump hybrids on retailers. It ruins the hobby for everyone if people think they’re getting one particular species but end up with some kind of hybrid. Unless you can house your hybrid offspring, painlessly destroy them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store