What fish is this?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It's not a Vieja. It looks like a variety of Aequidens. Can you take full body pictures by stepping away from the tank? A full view with fins and body markings would help.

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think it can be a number of species. Very tough to tell.

I'm thinking it could be some type of port cichlid like aequidens matae or a. biseriatus, or laetacara dorsigerus. If your fish is bigger like 8 inches or more it has the face of a Psitticum but its body doesn't match. It could also maybe be a chocolate cichlid (h. coryphaenoides) but the thick scales pattern yours has makes me want to believe its not.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
My guess was going to be Aequidens patricki based on the black mark just behind the eye, and the yellow on the cheek. However, on patricki, the yellow tends to be red and it's usually got a darker body with lots of pearling. I guess it could just be washed out, of maybe a different variant of Aequidens.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Would need a better shot of it to tell. As with most others, I agree the head shot suggests an acara of some sort. I'd lean more A. diadema over A. metae though, due to the size of the facial spot (Metae's have stripe that goes all the way down to the chin). But too hard to guess without a flank shot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store