What happened

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I haven't any juruense catfish for sale in awhile. It's like they went extinct. I have noticed alot of vendors can't even get them anymore.
Funny enough, it's the same with pictus catfish. I went to my local Big Al's just today and placed an order for spotted pictus, to which they replied spotted were hard to get nowadays and their next order was not guaranteed to arrive.
These pimelodids may be seasonal in collection, or it may be related to what tlindsey said.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tigs and jurs are a seasonal item most usually. Sometimes some remain unsold after season and these are usually larger and more expensive.

I remember your jur. It was great! I am jur-less too. Wanna try again.

plecoking2010

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
White oak
Tigs and jurs are a seasonal item most usually. Sometimes some remain unsold after season and these are usually larger and more expensive.

I remember your jur. It was great! I am jur-less too. Wanna try again.
Yes I have been all over suppliers trying to get them. And if they did have them they are like 6 to 10 inches and over 250 bucks.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I think the cost thing is the same with pictus catfish, and it's probably the same with any pimelodid not farmed by aquaculture. They cost 9 bucks in April at my local Big Al's but are 15 bucks now that it's November, and this most likely has to do with how easy the wet/dry seasons make things for collectors.
Whether pictus or gold zebra/zebra shovelnose, they would be much easier to collect in the April-October dry season than the November-March wet season, for reasons of both water levels and rainfall.

Last edited:
Reactions: plecoking2010
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store