What happens if a cichlid is stunted?

PredatoryFishRocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Nonyas
I have a friend that bought a dovii, but he has it in a 29 gallon. It is still small but, he will be getting a 55 in a year. He thinks the 55 will be fine for the dovii but I keep telling him it will stunt his growth.
I want to know what does happen if a cichlid is stunted? Do their lives shorten? By how much? Do they have a limit of growing?
I want to prove my friend that something will happen.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
I have a friend that bought a dovii, but he has it in a 29 gallon. It is still small but, he will be getting a 55 in a year. He thinks the 55 will be fine for the dovii but I keep telling him it will stunt his growth.
I want to know what does happen if a cichlid is stunted? Do their lives shorten? By how much? Do they have a limit of growing?
I want to prove my friend that something will happen.
Why is he waiting a year to get a 55g? You can get one cheap on craigslist for $30-$80. Or you can get a 75g-125g there for around $75-$110. Show him monsterfishkeepers and maybe he'll think twice before putting a fish like that in a 29g. :)

A stunted fish has a shorter lifespan and will be very unhappy...

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
dovii in a 55.... i would say no
....So you'd rather it be in a 29g?

A 55g is too small for a dovii but it would be much better than a 29g...I would keep trying to get your friend to upgrade to a bigger tank

cacichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
FL
Either way it will die.

Stunted fish become horribly deformed, prone to disease and end up dying of organ failure or any other disease that wouldn't kill a healthy fish.

It will probably die of stress and poor water quality before you can notice any stunting tho.

clekchau

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
tx
www.clekchau.com
....So you'd rather it be in a 29g?

A 55g is too small for a dovii but it would be much better than a 29g...I would keep trying to get your friend to upgrade to a bigger tank
no it should be traded for a fish that will fit in the 29g not try to keep it in a 55g, but that's just my opinion, people are going to do whatever they want

Natural Born Killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
U.S.A Erie Pa
I really dont think fish actually STUNT due to tank size..I think its the poor water quality and diet that comes with unexperianced fishkeepers that usually keep the larger fish in small tanks..Either way the fish will not be happy,and will probably die sooner than a better taken care of fish..

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
The fish's body stops growing at certain point but the organs and innards continue to grow. After some time, this begins to make the fish look distorted and deformed. It will live it's shortened life in pain and misery, then die in agony. It's a shame so many people don't know any better....no doubt there's a lot of these tortured fish out there.

You're the fish's only hope, talk some sense into 'your friend'.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Yeah, as stated above the fish will live a miserable existence. A much better philosophy is to buy the right sized tank, then buy the fish, or at least have a plan to have a tank it can live its life in sorted out ahead of time. 29 is bad, 55 is not as bad but at least a 6 footer needs to be in the near future, with an 8' being optimal.

Either way, it's a bad way to go about it. Sadly, it happens alot more than most people think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store