What is a decent pleco for discus aquarium ?

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I'm looking for a pretty pleco for a discus aquarium (180 gallons); i'd prefer something that leans towards algae so it is not likely to develop a taste for discus slime coating; smaller and like quiet waters. I keep my discus tank around 83-84 so stuff like L135 and L239 won't do well - I do have a flash pleco (L204) in there and it seems ok. I'd like something with a bit of colouring and perhaps not too shy - though most pleco will hide even if they aren't 'shy'.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
Why not just ad more 204s ? They like company.

Asking for a small, colourful, herbivore pleco that likes quiet water is not really realistic if I am honest, that is not what they are known for.

Carnivore L-cats hunt invertabrates and eat carrion, its very unlikely they will go for fish even as slow as Discus, and if they do there is likely a big lack in their diet. Being a Herbivore isnt a safety token aswell, chinese algae eaters and anostomus will be happy to show you.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Really can’t go wrong with a bristlenose pleco - small size, great algae eater, doesn’t bother anyone!

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
I guess i'm paranoid about bn ever since i caught one sucking on my anglefishes. Yea i might add more L204s they have always been well behaved. What about L135; will they work or do they require colder waters.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
L239's actually thrive in warmer water.. Planet Catfish lists their temp range at 73.4-84.2°F. And they have reports of breeding them up to 87°F (https://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=436).

I currently have 8 unsexed juvie plecos growing out in my Discus tank and it's gone well for almost a year now...

(2) Peckoltia sp. L494 "Paru Tiger" (77.9-86°F) (5.5-7.5pH)
(2) Panaqolus claustellifer L306 (77-83°F) (6-7.5pH)
(2) Baryancistrus beggini L239 (73.4-84.2°F) (5.5-7.5pH)
(2) Aphanotorulus ammophilus L123 (77-84.2°F) (6.5-8pH)

I have 6 or 7 groups of panaqolus in my fishroom that like warm (80+) water.

Other mid sized, non carnivorous, warm water plecos I keep are Baryancistrus chrysolomus L047, Hypostomus soniae L137, Baryancistrus xanthellus L177 and for whiptails, Sturisomatichthys panamensis.

A few others I've kept are Hypostomus sp. L360, Baryancistrus sp. L142, Peckoltia Compta L134, Peckoltia cf. braueri L135, Peckoltia sabaji and Pseudohemiodon apithanos.

Lots of options, but these are just some I keep or have kept at warmer temps.. Most are active, except maybe some of the peckoltias..

If you decide to try a carnivore, Scobinancistrus aureatus L014 is great, but may grow bigger than you want..

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
L239's actually thrive in warmer water.. Planet Catfish lists their temp range at 73.4-84.2°F. And they have reports of breeding them up to 87°F (https://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=436).

I currently have 8 unsexed juvie plecos growing out in my Discus tank and it's gone well for almost a year now...

(2) Peckoltia sp. L494 "Paru Tiger" (77.9-86°F) (5.5-7.5pH)
(2) Panaqolus claustellifer L306 (77-83°F) (6-7.5pH)
(2) Baryancistrus beggini L239 (73.4-84.2°F) (5.5-7.5pH)
(2) Aphanotorulus ammophilus L123 (77-84.2°F) (6.5-8pH)

I have 6 or 7 groups of panaqolus in my fishroom that like warm (80+) water.

Other mid sized, non carnivorous, warm water plecos I keep are Baryancistrus chrysolomus L047, Hypostomus soniae L137, Baryancistrus xanthellus L177 and for whiptails, Sturisomatichthys panamensis.

A few others I've kept are Hypostomus sp. L360, Baryancistrus sp. L142, Peckoltia Compta L134, Peckoltia cf. braueri L135, Peckoltia sabaji and Pseudohemiodon apithanos.

Lots of options, but these are just some I keep or have kept at warmer temps.. Most are active, except maybe some of the peckoltias..

If you decide to try a carnivore, Scobinancistrus aureatus L014 is great, but may grow bigger than you want..
Do all of the species you mentioned do well with little or no current. There is a sump and it does generate some current from the return pumps but i try to muffle it for the discus. These are wc discus so the water is pure ro; there are 6 more in qt so the total will be 10 but this is the aquarium. I'm cleaning up the cyano this weekend; I should probably get some black paper for the back and yes the cardinals are terrified of the discus so they stay on opposite sides ;)

discus.jpg

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Do all of the species you mentioned do well with little or no current. There is a sump and it does generate some current from the return pumps but i try to muffle it for the discus. These are wc discus so the water is pure ro; there are 6 more in qt so the total will be 10 but this is the aquarium. I'm cleaning up the cyano this weekend; I should probably get some black paper for the back and yes the cardinals are terrified of the discus so they stay on opposite sides ;)

View attachment 1535653
Nice looking group.. My next group will be wilds as well.. My current group are Stendker..

Regarding flow, I specifically exclude plecos that thrive in flow from my fish room.. all my plecos do well and I've even bred some in here with the flow generated by sumps, AC110s or cannisters.. There are some plecos and cichlids on my bucket list that require heavy flow, but I won't get them until I can set up a tank specifically for them..

I check Planet Catfish, Loricariidae & Scot Cat before purchasing any new species to confirm if my setup works..

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Ok thanks. I guess my concern with L239 was that 84 was the very top of its recommended range and i tend to look at species in the middle. I've been tempted by L014 but i'm worry it would create too much of a bio-load. I'll probably try one or two L239 when they are available.

Reactions: bkfamus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store