What is an cheap and easy way to lower Ammonia and nitrite?

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
live plants - water changes - carbon

Castro235

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Agawam, MA
Regardless of how everyone does it, you have the tank set up, and you have the fish in it, so you're in the middle of a fish-in cycle whether you want it or not lol.

So keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrites, do regular water changes when you notice either going up, and in a few weeks you should be down to 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and the nitrates should be controlled by your water changes from that point.

Depending on how hardy the fish you got are, the ammonia spikes can be a little higher if your fish are hardy, but if you have anything delicate, I would keep the levels to a minimum and change water often.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Your gonna need 1/3 to 50% water changes every day to keep levels down. Test your water every day. Adding some established/active filter media and or water will speed up the cycle. Keep on top of it so you don't kill your fish.

tyndall72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
California
Ya i am picking up a dat fairly soon and from what i have heard they are pretty delicate so I might hold off on him untill i get my levels down unless you guys think otherwise.

davezxtc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2010
Florida
the most effective way to get things going is to get some cycled filter media from an established tank, whether it be from a friend who has a well established tank, or from a LFS that you trust keeps their tanks in good condition.

tyndall72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
California
Well 70 percent of the water and filter were from my previous tank so it was 70 percent cycled with tons of used filter media. I think right now just keeping on top of the water changes will keep me down. What does everyone think about the Dat situation?

davezxtc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2010
Florida
a proper aquarium should have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and <20 nitrate reading. if you are getting anything over 0 amm/nitrite then your beneficial bacteria colony is not keeping up with the bioload for some reason.

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
Hold off on it, I tried putting a dat in my 4 week old tank and it almost died until I put it in my 55g

davezxtc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2010
Florida
tyndall72;4108354; said:
Well 70 percent of the water and filter were from my previous tank so it was 70 percent cycled with tons of used filter media. I think right now just keeping on top of the water changes will keep me down. What does everyone think about the Dat situation?
i strongly suggest you hold off on adding anything until you get the ammonia situation sorted out, even low ammonia and nitrite levels long term have permanent detrimental effects on fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store