What is one thing you love about cichlids?

Too Many Choices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
Australia
Cichlids are a obviously an incredible group of fish. With no doubt almost every aquarist keeping them at some point.

So. From the smallest of small to the largest of large, from shell dwellers to Dovii's. What is ONE thing for that you love about cichlids?

For me it's the intelligence. Even being restricted to the smaller species, you can tell there's so much more going in than in the head of a tetra!

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Lots of things to love about them but the thing that always amuses me most is when people are just getting into them and try to pronounce the word.

raj914

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2013
Philippines
Been a cichlid keeper for a long time now and for me like what was mentioned parental care! Absolutely great. I'll mention other things as well if you dont mind, attitude, and color specially during breeding really gets instense.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I like if you keep one tank with cichlids you will eventually need to set up 5 more tanks. It's some Cichlid law of science.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I live raising them from baby sized to full grown adults. You can do that with any fish but with cichlids to me it's something special.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
from the smallest ( multi shell-dwellers ) to the largest ( emperor cichlid, african ) what i love is how they all communicate with eachother and how they take care of eachothers broods of youngs

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
+1 to all of the above, its hard to pick just one thing thats awesome about cichlids.

If I had to pick though, I'd have to say its their looks. For as easy as it is to take care of 99% of them; they are awesome looking fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store