what is the benefit for the wild asian arowanas when the ban is lifted in the US?

pressure_cooker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
asia
alot of aquatic hobbyists want the ban of asian arowanas in the US lifted, thus some people are thinking that what would be the benefits of the wild asian arowana? can you site your opinions or thoughts.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I don't see how it would benefit any "wild" asian aros. With the increased demand I would think it would open the black market to a larger percentage of "wild" collected. So result would hurt wild populations, for this reason it is not likely the ban will be lifted.

Brian Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2008
Wood River Illinois
Bderick67;2608426; said:
I don't see how it would benefit any "wild" asian aros. With the increased demand I would think it would open the black market to a larger percentage of "wild" collected. So result would hurt wild populations, for this reason it is not likely the ban will be lifted.
I think you are right as much as I want one I don't think that would be worth it if it hurt the species.

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
No benefit at all, maybe even hurt the wild popuation.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I agree with the previous comments.

spring007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2006
Where there is sunshine
But if suppliers over here start to breed them then wouldn't people rather buy from local suppliers than to get one directly from asia? Making the fish legal in Canada and other European countries should have, according to the above posts, hurt the wild aro populations...I mean it did for a lil bit but only till the locals in different countries got them breeding...

correct me if I'm wrong...

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
sodenoshirayuki;2608736; said:
No benefit at all, maybe even hurt the wild popuation.
exactly...
its not like the US is going to breed them and send some back to asia to release....

Kolewolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I could be wrong here but I believe you are mistaken in your notion of "Wild caught" Asian Aro's. It is illegal for any country to export "wild caught". All the Asian Aro's that are exported are farm bred and raised. Thus if the US allowed importation it shouldn't hurt the wild population.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store