What is the best looking aquarium shark you have ever owned or seen?

prashan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Sri Lanka
There are lot of fresh water 'shark looking' fish species to be petted but which one has the best looking?

In my opinion to gain a real shark look, shark's mouth should be in downside and upper caudal fin should be longer than lower one.(as in pic)
Here's a list of some aquarium fishes which look like sharks, (I collect information from internet)
rainbow shark,
bala shark,
(iridecent,paroon,emperor)catfishes,
aba aba,
strugeon( smallest species would reach 7 feet so kinda impractical)

Below ones are real monsters.
indian gray shark (180cm++ )
Glyphis garricki(100cm++)
Glyphis siamensis(100cm++)
[bull sharks(225cm++)

Bulls,Glyphis garricki,indian gray sharks are very good looking real sharks but kinda impractical or very hard to rear by a normal aquarist. Strugeons are the next best looking to me but they also can easily out grow a normal aquarium. But recently I found there is a very rare typical shark looking fish - it's not just shark looking but a real shark, plus it's small in size. Its name is Glyphis fowlerae and it grows only up to 75cm long. But I think it's one of the rarest fishes in earth.So I don't think someone owns a one. If someone has more information of it, share with us. :)
So what's your suggestion for best shark looking fish for a normal aquarist?(by normal aquarist I mean someone whose tanks are about 1000G or 2000G in maximum) Is there any other better shark looking fish than I've listed?

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
Go to salt water, there is a large selection of REAL sharks that will fit in a 1000 to 2000 gallon tank.

If you want to stick with ONLY fresh water I would say ID sharks, ONLY because of how they swim ! they arnt twitchy little guppies... They accually move like a shark. and I would say look like one the most.

From my experince all my LFS sell ID sharks, but they are tiny ! like one inch ! They seem very hard to grow up and you dont see them past 5 inches much. But when you do its allways someone with a 30 gallon or smaller lol ! So they sell for cheap !

prashan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Sri Lanka
I don't like to maintain saltwater aquariums. I think it's too expensive and needs much care. :)
So my uncle always use to keep some ID sharks or parons(I can't really distinguish between them) in his pond and they grow really fast. A 3" guy would reach 2' in a year. They are fast like sharks but caudal fins are not like sharks.

tankboi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Arkansas
Alot of catfishes look like sharks like the irridescent sharks, pictus cats and others. I like but it don't look much like a shark to me is the black shark I think it is labeo but I'm not sure. Don't see those around much! I used to have a couple years and years ago. Gotta like them mean bastards!

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
One of smallest commonly available species of sturgeon, the shovelnose, max at around 3 ft.
Sterlets max at 4ft but rarely exceed 3. It's a popular pond fish.
The dwarf sturgeon only gets around 12", but is very rare.
So they don't all get 7 ft plus.

I personally think my driftwood cat was kind of sharklike in look and swimming style.

The closest I've ever seen is the blue whale.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=410

And they swim exactly like a requiem shark. But needs to be kept alone as they will bite chunks out of or burrow into other fish.

prashan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Sri Lanka
One of smallest commonly available species of sturgeon, the shovelnose, max at around 3 ft.
Sterlets max at 4ft but rarely exceed 3. It's a popular pond fish.
The dwarf sturgeon only gets around 12", but is very rare.
So they don't all get 7 ft plus.

I personally think my driftwood cat was kind of sharklike in look and swimming style.

The closest I've ever seen is the blue whale.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=410

And they swim exactly like a requiem shark. But needs to be kept alone as they will bite chunks out of or burrow into other fish.
Good information I couldn't find about sterlets, dwarf strugeons and blue whale catfishes from internet b4. Chatting with you guys here never seconds to searching in internet. Blue whales catfishes look damn active and psycho crazy when feeding like sharks. But its shape is not that nice to me. I think I would choose sterlet rather than a blue whale if I'm asked to choose between them. I don't see a difference between a shark and a steerlet by appearance but they seem to be very calm bottom dwellers. Thanks man!!! :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store