What Is The Best Way To Clean a Used Aquarium Glass?

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
What's up, MFKers! Yes I just said the swear word.

So I am buying a used tank and the glass is kind of cloudy. The shopkeeper cleaned it and it's clear but I see that it can be clearer. What is the best way to clean and shine a used aquarium glass?

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK

So I am buying a used tank and the glass is kind of cloudy. The shopkeeper cleaned it and it's clear but I see that it can be clearer. What is the best way to clean and shine a used aquarium glass?

Try using vinegar. I usually removes whatever is on the glass without damaging the tank.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have always used hot water,as hot as my hands can tolerate,and a scouring pad.

jr136

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
Try using vinegar. I usually removes whatever is on the glass without damaging the tank.
I have used vinegar to clean equipment used in my tank and non scented mr clean pads for past few years on the glass. Both work great

jr136

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
^^^. Used me clean pads for 4 years straight never an issue: should be mindful not to get sand on the pad as that would turn it into sandpaper

matthewr262

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2015
Willowick. OH
^^^. Used me clean pads for 4 years straight never an issue: should be mindful not to get sand on the pad as that would turn it into sandpaper
Still doesn't change the fact that Mr.Clean magic eraser is abrasive. 3000grit sand paper is so fine it will take time to notice. I'm an autobody tech and when I use these on clear coat I wish they were simply magic so I don't have to buff out the dull after use because they are "abrasive".

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I'm a agree with matt. 3000 grit isn't even that fine.

I use vinegar with great results. Soak a bunch of paper towels and scrub gently to remove thick mineral stains, and as it clears up i get more aggressive with the paper towel and vinegar.
It's cheap and safe.

Reactions: matthewr262
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store