What is the most ridiculous overcrowding you have seen?

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Working in the fish retail industry, I see a lot of ridiculous situations, to put it lightly. I think the last horrific circumstance was 3 tiger barbs and a redtail shark in a fish bowl.

A person really develops a knack for being condescending in a non-offensive way if they want to stay in business AND stop practices like that.

I had a customer who wanted to put a 10" koi in a 20 long last week. In order to change his mind I just had to tell him his tank would look and smell like ****e if he did it. The idea of wasting his money on an ugly tank was enough for him to consider some barbs instead.

Another memorably bad one was a leporinus about 12" long in a 35 hex. When the owner finally decided he had outgrown the tank, he had owned that fish for about 2 years.

Cheetah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
I don't understand how someone could house an arapima like that.

It's not like a arowana, pacu, rtc, or pleco that you buy at any chain store as a cute 2 inch baby for $10. You always think the owner was ignorant to the long term care.

But the arapima is very difficult to find even at speciality stores. And even then there sold at around a foot long for a few by hundred dollars. Someone who buys a fish for a few by hundred usually knows what there doing and isn't on impulse.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
banjocat;3013580; said:
Are there two Arapaimas? :eek: or is the other one a reflection? Either way, crazy :eek:
There's at least 2, might be 3 I forget but there's another pic of that tank somewhere where you can see the pima's better.

Obviously for anyone that's newer reading this that's not an ideal setup so I wouldn't attempt that exactly but gotta be some skill there just to keep them in there.

Whether you love him or hate him that guy is world famous. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store