What is this goofy fish I just bought?

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
Aquamojo;4799056; said:
Another Convict with a stripe on the CP.
No, that's the tail spot shaped like a stripe ......not a stripe but it's tail spot. The first stripe on a convict starts right after the caudal peduncle, unlike the fish in question.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thats a convict. My cousin has 10 of those in lighter shading

BC in SK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
canada
If you want to count the tail spot as a stripe, then you have to count it on the fish in question, as well.......that would make 2 stripes on the caudal peduncle, as aposed to only one on a convict. It's still the very same distinction.

I agree, the fish could very well be a hybrid CA...... one that superfiscially resembles an Austroloheros species:D

I don't think the anal fin on the fish in question, looks at all like a convict's. I count no more then 4-5 anal spines; the spine area just doesn't seem long enough to be a convict. Then again, the pictures are a little blurry.

I still think it's an Austroloheros species. It's got the shape of one, the stripes on one, the color of one and the eye of one. But time will tell.

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
At first glance i would say Convict, it does have a resemblance to a female JD (with out the face markings)

purplecandle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2010
North Carolina
oh, dear..seems like my fish has stirred some debate.

For what it is worth, I have had a convict before and when comparing this fish to other convicts in the tank at the LFS I did see some marked differences. I thought maybe related to convicts but not holly a convict..

He is still acting goofy. I couldn't find him this morning then I spotted him wedged sideways underneath a rock. I thought he might be sick, but he is not. That has become his spot!

purplecandle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2010
North Carolina
BC in SK;4798600; said:
Also a pic from the internet of an Austroloheros "oblongum", a small Austroloheros of unkown origins that is starting to become more common in the hobby:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/jstraz/Small Tanks/Australoheros Oblongum/008-1.jpg
I think this is him!?!?! He does have some of the light blue flecks (did not pick up on in the pictures). The pelvic and pectoral fins are similar to mine. On my fish those to sets of fins look a little too big for his body, giving him more goofiness. And this one has a big goofy forehead like mine. And mines has the same circular spot in the middle of the strips, I don't think you can see that in the pictures.

I will try to get some more blurry pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store