What is This??

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Is it safe to say that this bacteria infection comes from feeder shrimps? I'm trying to rule out possible cause of this bacteria in my tank..

Also, can you please explain what this paragraph means - "It should be noted that although Erythromycin is the drug of choice, because it is an effective anti gram positive bacterium medication, it is also very hard on nitrifying bacteria, so having cultured sponge filters or other “seasoned” filter media to replace during and/or after treatment is very important since Streptococcus is not opportunistic. Many opportunistic bacterium such as Columnaris may follow, especially if ammonia/nitrites rise during or after treatment."
I read it at http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/01/streptococcus-eye-infections.html

Does it mean that all the filter media will be damaged and can no longer cultivate beneficial bacteria? Or is the med effect just temporary?

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
It means your current colonies have a good chance of dying off they will be able to recolonize the same media but if the nitrifying colonies die you will have to step up your water changes and monitor parameters daily.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^ exactly this. The tank will need to be re cycled so a test kit will be usful in ensuring correct water parameters.

Feeder shrimp could be the root cause or just poor water quality from not removing any uneaten food. I would start using a good quality pellet as the staple diet and cut back or eliminate live food. That paragraph is telling you what I told you, just worded differently.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Haven't got the med yet but a quick update..
The growth has enlarged overnight and this morning, I saw it burst right in front of me.. The pus that flowed out was endless..
Guess I'll have to treat the whole tank now..
I've attached some pics of the pus in action..

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (5).JPG

photo (6).JPG

photo (7).JPG

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Tom, do you know any reliable website that sells erythromycin? Preferably they ship to Malaysia..
I couldn't find it locally..

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Since I couldn't find api erythromycin and mardel maracyn, I went again to look at each medicine that they have and ended up buying Azoo Magic Disease..
Its ingredients are Formalin, Erythromycin, Trichlorofon, Sodium Chloride, Acrinol, and Malachite Green..
This is the only med I saw with erythromycin on the label.. But with the addition of other meds, does it reduce its effectiveness?
I've attached pics of the med that I bought..

1.JPG

2.JPG

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Today is the 4th day of medicating using Azoo Magic Disease but there isn't any improvement..
The left eye has been swelling up as well with the same kind of growth as the right eye and both are getting bigger each day..
At first I thought it's the medication doing its thing but now I'm stumped.. I don't know if I should continue medicating..
The fish doesn't look like he's giving up so I can't give up on him..

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (5).JPG

photo (6).JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If the med you bought isn't working discontinue and try Metro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store