What is this

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Last month I removed one piece of dw from my 75 that had something similar. The weird thing is that, it was only on 1 piece of dw out of like 10 pieces from the same tank. Also, my water was not cloudy.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I've had this stuff suddenly appear on wood pieces that I've had for years and I made a thread about it some time ago.It is either a form of algae or wood fungus maybe but it is harmless.I have removed the wood,scrubbed it dried it,boiled it and the stuff still grew back.I don't like the looks of it so I no longer use those pieces in my thanks.
I didn't have cloudiness in my tanks when the wood was there so I suspect something else is causing your cloud issue.
Last month I removed one piece of dw from my 75 that had something similar. The weird thing is that, it was only on 1 piece of dw out of like 10 pieces from the same tank. Also, my water was not cloudy.
Maybe these pics are better. Its not on anything else. These are the only things that were done before this cloudy crap started. Added another small bag of ac50 media to the ac110 that I had laying around. Added a bubbler and one of the small longfin danios disappeared figured the acara haf something to do with it.I did wc and didnt find any remains.
uploadfromtaptalk1400247086734.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400247098326.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400247114934.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Maybe some type of pleco will eat the stuff.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Remove the dw, for now, and see if you can resolve the cloudiness issue.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I've had this stuff pop up in the past before as well. The only way I was ever able to get rid of it was to get rid of the piece.

I wonder if kiln-drying would benefit pieces that are too large to boil?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for the help guys even though I really like it sounds easier to just remove it. I cleaned it off 2 or 3 days ago and it came back even worse....think I pissed it off

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Thanks for the help guys even though I really like it sounds easier to just remove it. I cleaned it off 2 or 3 days ago and it came back even worse....think I pissed it off

I've seen this happen frequently with malaysian driftwood. I'm under the impression it's a function of the resin (or something similar) leeching out of the wood. It's a transparent jelly-like coating, yes?

As was suggested above, put a common pleco in there and it'll devour that stuff and turn it into poop in no time. Once you don't see it coming back for a while, you can remove the pleco and it'll probably have run its course.

Seen this many times with new pieces of wood, it's not a problem really just gross looking.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I've seen this happen frequently with malaysian driftwood. I'm under the impression it's a function of the resin (or something similar) leeching out of the wood. It's a transparent jelly-like coating, yes?

As was suggested above, put a common pleco in there and it'll devour that stuff and turn it into poop in no time. Once you don't see it coming back for a while, you can remove the pleco and it'll probably have run its course.

Seen this many times with new pieces of wood, it's not a problem really just gross looking.
Yes that is exactly what is looks like. Would a pleco put me over the limit right now have a yellow acara and clown loach was looking to add a couple more... all fish are being transferred to another tank within a few months

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store