What is your water hardness?

turtles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
Hi , been awhile since I've been on mfk but I'm coming back swinging ?
Tank is 7x2x2 grow-out no tank occupants yet. my question is what you have you water hardness at for your rays? my tap water is 7.8ph with a water hardness of 55ppm so very soft water (3 dkh) are there any long term side effects of keeping rays in this water as I try to keep all my fish in basically what comes out of my tap
Cheers james

Stingray Biogenetics

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Ontario
Welcome back.
-
3 dkh is too low for rays, it’ll cause ph instability. I’d recommend adding some crushed coral to the sump, to increase kh values.
-
“KH - carbonate hardness/temporary hardness - is the buffering capacity of your water, and is your waters capacity to resist changes in pH. That is, water with low buffering capacity (low KH) are much more susceptible to large scale swings in pH due to other conditions in your aquarium. This is often a water parameter that is overlooked by Ray keepers (and other aquarium keepers). There is also an additional benefit of raising KH, it has a positive effect on your biological filtration, particularly for people running bead filters/K media. At roughly a KH of roughly 8.0 + your biological filtration will be 'supercharged'.”
-
Side note: my kH comes out of the tap at 15kh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store