What kind of cichlids would you keep with bichirs?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
ah ok, i know nothing about birchir tbh, assumed only a few got large enough to munch a 6-7 inch fish.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
What do you think about Nicaragua cichlids?

I've decided to keep these fish. Won't be doing a major change in lay out either.
But I will remove the sand that's visible in the front and sides, and change the sand.

I'll just do more water changes and be a good boy and order more purigen and be better at maintaining the tank.

I just can't let go of my hujeta's and these bichirs.

I'll go to the local aquarium club auction next Saturday and see if I find any decent size cichlids I'd fancy.
Just need to prepare tank and read up on what fishes I'd should choose before Saturday.

We got two huge clown loaches at work today, would love to have them, but...I just spent a small fortune on algae eating snails.... They have done a great work on removing algae, except BBA.. That I'm dealing with the use of a liquid karbo product similar to flourish excel, which was recommended on another thread/topic.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
ah ok, i know nothing about birchir tbh, assumed only a few got large enough to munch a 6-7 inch fish.
If he has multiple heavy hitters. If one grabs and the other grabs on aswell, theres nothing left but shreds.

Nic's are pretty cool. I dont see why not.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
If he has multiple heavy hitters. If one grabs and the other grabs on aswell, theres nothing left but shreds.

Nic's are pretty cool. I dont see why not.
Thanks for the reply, I'm also considering salvini.

Any thoughts?
I think they'll do fine, but I'm worried they might be a little to aggressive.

My knowledge of cichlids are limited.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Nicaraguan cichlids are nice but again if they do pair. Same thing will happen. Same with salvini. If u want a salvini get a male as female stay small and will become food.

If u really want cichlids so bad u need to sacrify those plants. U can keep them in but those plants will not look the same. Those plants will still strive but expect some torn off branches and leaves.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I keep green severums with mine but they are hit or miss on being plant friendly. Mine are not.
Normally plant eating fish will not eat anubias, java ferns and bolbitis. Severums however are one of those fish that will nibble on these type of plants.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just finished installing led lights with remote, can change colors and dim it.
Looks awesome!

And I've decided to keep the sand, with these lights the sand looks the same to me.

Can't take a decent pic to show the results, but I'm mighty pleased.

Also I removed the ropefish, to make room for cichlids.
Well truth be told, it removed itself. Jumped in the middle of the night, lifting the lightfixture, right where I feed them, and found it hard as a rock this morning beneath the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store