what kind of freshwater eel is this?

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
[video=youtube;gR7aD7I6eKk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7aD7I6eKk[/video] this is mine he dosent bother the other fish at all but has bitten every fish in the tank at one time or another during feedings.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
[video=youtube;K5REeTPW88Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5REeTPW88Y[/video] Not mine but here is a large one eating a knife fish. These fish are very snake like.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Call me crazy but I'm not 100% convinced this is an electric eel. Can we get a better shot?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'm not 100% convinced this is swamp eel. It looks like an electric eel a lot to me.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Marble swamp eel native to venezuela. The fish in the pic looks very healthy and thick. These fish can be kept in community settings, but they are unpredictable and predatory. Also these fish will bite you and they have a nasty bite. I have kept a few sa swamp eels and i currently have a small asian swamp eel, i like these fish much better than a sa lungfish or electric eel.
+1 looks like a swamp eel, electric eels have an undulating fin like a knife fish, this is def not a electric eel

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
I'm not 100% convinced this is swamp eel. It looks like an electric eel a lot to me.
a electric eel has a long fin that runs almost the entire length of the bottom of the fish, you can see the belly of the fish pictured at one section and it has no fin.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
a electric eel has a long fin that runs almost the entire length of the bottom of the fish, you can see the belly of the fish pictured at one section and it has no fin.
And you can tell that from the picture? Its sitting on the bottom....

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I agree with sharptooth. This doesn't look like an electric eel to me. I don't see pectoral fins which electrics have but I could be wrong. Looks like there's a spot that resembles a pectoral fin but I can't tell from the pic but the dead giveaway is the tail. Look how it comes out and gets extremely flat. Electric eel tails don't do that. Plus there's no knife since electric eels are really a type of knifefish. Im gonna go with swamp eel as well

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Sure can there is a spot where his belly is off the ground no fin, i can also tell from the tail, plus the head is that of a swamp eel.
again I'm not 100% convinced, all I see is a crappy pic of an eel laying on the bottom.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
The pic is bad but I think I see some small leg things that the lungs have

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store